Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about pre-primed wood: paint vs. stain? # of coats?

Posted by NewEnglandSara (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 3, 12 at 14:13

Hi there,

We are in major need of painting the exterior of our house in the Boston area, which was sided with pre-primed cedar clapboard in November (when it was too cold to paint.) The primer has now lost a bit of its luster, but it is still mostly intact. We have had a bunch of painters come by, and we are getting different opinions and prices from everyone. I would love input on a few questions. (If it matters, we are going for a medium gray-blue color for the house....)

1) Is it better to paint or to stain over the factory primed wood that has been exposed since November? If staining is better, should we still use primer? If so, would you recommend oil or latex primer? If primer isn't necessary with stain, how many coats would you recommend?

2) A few painters have suggested only using one coat of latex paint if we use tinted oil-based primer. They think we will have too much paint on the house if we use two coats. However, other painters have suggested that the primer might shine through with only one coat. Again, I would love some input.

Thank you so much!
Sara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about pre-primed wood: paint vs. stain? # of coats?

Generally speaking, it's not a good thing to leave wood primed and not finished for so long, but I don't know that I would re-prime. Perhaps a good power wash and staining would be sufficient....depends on the condition of the primer coat. Of course, the safest thing to do would be to re-prime everyhing with a high quality slow drying oil primer, but that would increase the cost of the paintjob. If the cedar is rough sewn, then you really don't want to paint that. Stain is preferred.

o
RE: Questions about pre-primed wood: paint vs. stain? # of coats?

Wash the aged primed coat and check for chalking afterwards. If still chalked, re-prime no matter what, it's exterior work.
Can be primed with any primer,latex or oil.
2 finish coats will not put too much on, unless your painter is completely mill-thickness unaware. It looks thick and creamy in the can but when it dries it is half the thickness of old oil house paint. 2 coats properly done will probably last 10-15 years, depending on other maintenance aspects of the house.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here