Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Top Coat for Wood Ceiling in Shower

Posted by wolfgang80 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 6, 11 at 14:00

We have a wood beamed ceiling in our bathroom that extends unfettered over the shower. At the suggestion of a few on this forum, I primed the wood ceiling with an oil based primer. Now we are ready to choose a top coat. We have the best access to SW and DE paints but are willing to travel for others if they are clearly superior.
Can you please recommend a paint--brand, product line, latex/oil, sheen--for the finish coat? Our main concern is protecting the wood / durability.

Thank you for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Top Coat for Wood Ceiling in Shower

If it were my house I'd use a glossy interior oil paint from as high a quality brand as you're comfortable paying for (though convenience is important in buying paint, too). High-gloss latex would be my second choice.

o

I would use Aura or Grahams 100 percent acrylic satin or semi gloss. Oil based paints may be more durable, but the difference in durability these days is minimal if you are using high quality paints. Of course mid grade or low quality latex paints are a bad choice for high moisture areas. Personally I would just never use an oil based paint in a shower area because moisture + oil based coating usually equals mildew growth.

o

Thank you both for your responses.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here