Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Self priming paint over primer?

Posted by lexie1397 (lnspellman@gmail.com) on
Tue, Jun 12, 12 at 13:56

Curious whether using a self-priming paint over primer is a smart idea?

We're finishing a bathroom remodel. Had to put joint compound over virtually all surfaces to get the texture we wanted, so we knew we had to use drywall primer everywhere too. After two coats, I'm now looking at buying my paint, and didn't realize it would be so hard to find one that wasn't "self-priming." (we're looking primarily at Behr b/c Home Depot is close)

Can someone help me understand the benefits and drawbacks to using a self-priming paint in this scenario?
What else is there and what would you use?

The plan was to use semi-gloss on both the walls (for ease of cleaning) and ceiling (to help protect against spray from the shower). Each is a different color, though, if there's a better idea!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Self priming paint over primer?

Best bet would be to go to a real paint store and get the paint. Having made that point, paint and primer is nothing more than a marketing scheme, go ahead and use it, no harm will be done, it is just paint, there is no primer in the can.

Here is more info

Here is a link that might be useful: paint and primer

o
RE: Self priming paint over primer?

People (generally DIYers) have always taken shortcuts and tried to skip priming. Paint and primer in one is a marketing gimmick, yes, started by depot and picked up by others (including Ace, Valspar, and Benjamin Moore) because customers started demanding it. A paint that claims to be self-priming should seal and adhere on it's own (without primer) better than a non-self-primimg paint would do. In other words, they figured out people skip priming and designed the paint better so they can get away with it better. However, priming is still a good step (crucial in some instances), so just think of paint-and-primer-in-one as being the upper end paint from that store. We may not all be fans of Behr, but you're using the best top-coat Behr had to offer to cover your primer.

And gosh I hope that makes sense...I feel like I'm talking in circles, but it's the best I can do tonight!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here