Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help! Paint is peeling. Now what?

Posted by storklady (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 24, 10 at 13:32

Hello everyone, we just remodeled our kitchen. We have white painted cabinets with a factory paint job. They are very nice...but we decided to paint the back wall of one of the cabinets in order to better show off dishes & glassware. My DH used latex paint and all looked great until we peeled back the blue tape we used to tape it off. Big areas of the paint peeled off with the tape..and he wasnt' sloppy at all...there was very little paint on the tape...I've never seen paint peel with the removal of blue tape before...and I've done lots of painting over the years. I'm thinking the issue is not with the tape, but with the latex paint on the factory painted cabinet. I've told him I think all we need to do is sand it all off..which will also sand the factory finish beneath the peeling paint..and then paint again. The paint should stick the 2nd time. He thinks it's all for naught. However, there has to be something we can do. I certainly cannot buy another cabinet, I have to have use of it and I'm not going to settle for it looking like c***. Any advice will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help! Paint is peeling. Now what?

Yikes! It's peeling because there was literally nothing for the paint to stick to, except for the tape, that is. Before you paint any slick surface, you should at least give it a good sanding, (known as giving it a tooth) and then prime. Also, you shouldn't use latex over an oil paint. But, none of that matters now.
You can A). completely sand the surface, prime and then paint again. Or, B). have a panel cut to fit; 1/8" beadboard or MDF, then prime & paint the new surface, trim out top, bottom and 2 sides with a small profile moulding. Make sure your shelves will fit w/the moulding, or you can simply use caulk if there is a gap.
I hope this helps, and I do love the look of a contrasting color on cabinets.

o
RE: Help! Paint is peeling. Now what?

As posted, sand AND prime first. You're latex paint would have been fine if it had something to stick to.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here