Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

paint on real wood and particle board cabinets?

chueh
10 years ago

Here is the pic of the cooking cutter type of common and affordable kitchen cabinets:

This particular one is under the kitchen sink, so sometimes water runs down when I wash things from the countertop. The finish looks like STAIN rather than paint, yet the paint/stain where the water usually runs down to is worn off. I did not know any stain wood would wear off like that because water or regular wear and tear.

Anyhow, I am going to paint the entire cabinets, and I read up some online articles about painting both wood and particle board furniture. The procedure usually calls for de-glossy medium to strip away the finishes, sanding, oil-base-priming, and painting in order. However, I found one blog about using only oil based primer and latex paint to do the furniture as my cabinets with the side particle boards and laminated finishes, as well as the front wooded panels. She claims that the painted furniture has been 5 years or so without any flaking paint.

Her procedure seems to be the simplest, easiest, and least messy. If it works all the same, I wouldn't want to choose the harder way. Please advise. Thanks

Comments (3)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Yea, that happens with all cabinets below the kitchen sink if you are splashing water there all the time. We also see it in bathrooms below that sink, and it really happens with high quality cabinets too, not just the cheap ones. As for painting them, you do not really need to strip away the old finish...you just want to dull the sheen to help the primer adhere as best as it can. We always hear these stories about people that are skipping the sanding or skipping the primer and everything is holding up fine, but in my mind, this doesn't mean we should discard what we know works just because a few people claim to have great results. Some paint manufacturers are even claiming that you do not need to prime at all and that their paint will stick to anything, but I'm aware that everyone lies in their marketing materials these days because all they care about is selling product, so I'm sticking with my tried and true methods that I'm positive will work and you will hear the same tune from all professionals. If your cabinets are not real wood though, I would be fine with a high quality acrylic primer, so perhaps you do not have to use oil.

• chueh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Paintguy...thank you for your making-all-sense reply :-) very informative..

• tuesday_2008
    10 years ago

Those cabinets will paint VERY NICELY if you follow paintguy's instructions - clean, sand to knock down the gloss, good primer, and good paint.

Sponsored
The Creative Kitchen Company
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars47 Reviews
Franklin County's Kitchen Remodeling and Refacing Professional