Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chueh_gw

paint on real wood and particle board cabinets?

chueh
10 years ago

Here is the pic of the cooking cutter type of common and affordable kitchen cabinets:

This particular one is under the kitchen sink, so sometimes water runs down when I wash things from the countertop. The finish looks like STAIN rather than paint, yet the paint/stain where the water usually runs down to is worn off. I did not know any stain wood would wear off like that because water or regular wear and tear.

Anyhow, I am going to paint the entire cabinets, and I read up some online articles about painting both wood and particle board furniture. The procedure usually calls for de-glossy medium to strip away the finishes, sanding, oil-base-priming, and painting in order. However, I found one blog about using only oil based primer and latex paint to do the furniture as my cabinets with the side particle boards and laminated finishes, as well as the front wooded panels. She claims that the painted furniture has been 5 years or so without any flaking paint.

Her procedure seems to be the simplest, easiest, and least messy. If it works all the same, I wouldn't want to choose the harder way. Please advise. Thanks

Comments (3)