Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

B? ??? Bathroom Paint to Prevent Mold/Mildew

chipster_2007
13 years ago

What are the best name brands of paint that will prevent mold/mildew in the bathroom? When I search for this on google, I get Behr, Valspar. I am sure there are specific brands to meet this need. Would appreciate your help. Thanks

Comments (6)

• 4boys2
    13 years ago

I know there is an additive you can put into any paint that is "suppose" to prevent mold..Don't know if it works ..Google "Paint additive to prevent mold " Alot of articles.

• paintguy22
    13 years ago

Yes, it's called mildewcide. You can get some Zinnser Perma White I think it is called....this is a washable paint that already has mildewcide added. You can also purchase packets of mildewcide from a paint store and have them add it into a paint of your choice before mixing.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Nothing can really prevent mildew in an unventilated, moist area.

Paint is not a replacement for a vent fan.

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

There is primer and paint made by Rustoleum that has a mold inhibitor already in it. I used this last summer and have not had mold since. But also, I insulated the heck out of my walls and ceilings so moisture would not condense on cold surface. See link below for paint info and tips for preventing bathroom mold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Preventing Bathroom Mold

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, a vent fan is absolutely necessary. When the BR was done over (its a rental), the GC put in the cheapest one which I was unaware of at the time. Then the birds came... need I say more. I have having anew vent fan placed and the vent lining replaced with a new type of vent cover on the outside that should eliminate any more problems with birds. I have washed the area with a dilute bleach/h20 and rinsed. I do have the ceiling paint, perma white but when I went to buy the wall paint, he would not tint a new can of perma white because he said it would not come out well. Is this true? He mentioned Benjamin Moore paint for bathroom/spa. Does anyone have any info on this?