Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long should paint 'cure' on furniture?

Posted by whitdobe (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 20, 10 at 12:08

And I don't even know if cure is the right word. I'm painting the exterior of a chest. Primed with SW XIM oil base primer and I will paint with SW oil base enamel paint. I'm in Georgia and it's hot and humid but, because of that, I'm doing this project sqeezed into the kitchen of my nice air conditioned house. Just so that you know the conditions.

I am waiting 24 hours in between each coat of primer and/or paint.

My husband will eventually use the top of the lid as a luggage rack for his suitcase. I know that I may be doing touch up over the years. That's why I'm doing this with an old chest.

Is is "ready to use" when it's 24 hours past the time I finish painting it? Seems to me that it should "cure" a bit but that's just a wild guess on my part. I've never done this before so I haven't got a clue.

Should I leave it to cure without letting anything be put on top of it for a while once I'm done painting and, if so, for how long?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long should paint 'cure' on furniture?

I would let it "sit" for at least a week, but wait as long as you can. It's hard to really say how long it will take to fully cure, but based on your description, I would say that you have done a great job. Technically it can take a full month to cure, but use your judgement, the surface should (obviously) not be tacky.
If the surface is flat and you want extra protection, I sometimes use a piece of glass, which I know can be expensive. But I also like the "antiqued" look.

o

Oil based paint really only takes a couple of days to fully harden, a week at most. Latex/acrylics are what may take up to a month to cure.

o

Thanks so much! This has been quite an adventure and I'm learning a lot.

o

When I painted a dresser, I let it sit for almost a week and then brought it in the house. We didn't use it for another week, left the drawers off to ensure that it finished curing while inside the room.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here