Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burlap wallpaper and painting!

Posted by curious_062010 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 11:17

I have burlap wallpaper in my family room, painted on by the previous owner (30-40 yrs ago). I removed 2 large strips with and without DIF and exposed the cardboard-like paper of the drywall, so decided not to remove it, even though I want smooth walls.
I have bought "Cherry Cobbler Red" paint and grey primer, have 48 sqr ft of damaged drywall and the rest covered with off-white painted on wallpaper.
How do I make this room look good :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burlap wallpaper and painting!

Sometimes if you soak the wallpaper several times before pulling it off, you can reduce the damage you may do to the wallboard. For wallpaper that has been hung improperly or on top of flat paint or raw drywall, I will load up my garden sprayer with some Chomp mixed in very hot water and soak, wait 10 minutes, soak again, wait 10 minutes, soak again and then try to pull it off. Sometimes this works and sometimes you are going to pull off that paper facing of the drywall no matter what. And, then you have to skimcoat. You can paint over the wallpaper, but this should be done only as a last resort.

o

It's hard to say why the wallpaper is not coming off properly. Walls may not have been sized before installing the paper, or most likely, it's been on for so long and then painted over, no less.
DIFF is an excellent product for removing wallpaper (can be found at any home store pre-mixed or concentrate). The key is to use really hot water. Spray on, let it soak, then spray again. And gently glide your knife pushing the paper off the wall, minimize gouges. You will also have wall repairs -- which you have already. It's not impossible, you will just have to have patience and realize that this is not a one-day project.

o

safe and simple

better than diff and chomp combined

Here is a link that might be useful: s&s

o

I agree with Chris about the Safe-n-Simple - he's been recommending it for a while so I tried it. I had to systematically strip 90's era wallpaper in my own house (remember the Laura Ashley florals? :~D) and during that process I became a huge fan of Safe-n-Simple.

I had tried all the products mentioned plus the suggestions of just soap & water, fabric softener and even vinegar! Most were a complete waste of time and a huge mess.

When we moved I had a lot of S&S left and gave it to a neighbor - loved it. And I've recommended it to several clients and painters since.

o

(remember the Laura Ashley florals? :~D)

Ever try and hang that crap??

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here