Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trigrl09_gw

Brick Stain

trigrl09
11 years ago

We have pink brick! HELP!

Does anyone have experience with staining brick. I have read a lot about painting brick but was wondering if staining would be less work & maintenance.

What brand of stain did you use.

Thanks

Comments (6)

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Hopefully Funcolors will see this! She responded on jc_wilson's post about changing his brick. I saw where you gave a "shout-out" on that post.

• Earl310
    11 years ago

I also would like to stain my brickL. I could only find one company that sales the stain.
    http://www.dyebrick.com
    If anyone knows of another company please post.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

The trick is to talk with the product supplier directly. Get samples. Ideally, you have a few extra bricks to experiment with.

Two choices - stain each brick one at a time or reconcile with the fact that you also stain the mortar if you apply broad strokes to entire surface.

Here's what I know, however, no matter how it comes out, people feel it's better than what they started with.

Did I mention to get samples? Stain whether for brick or wood is incredibly challenging from a color p.o.v. I really have no short-cuts, the only way is to sample, test, sample, test, rinse, repeat.

If you have to buy a couple gallons just to test color (and some brands make you do that) then that's just what you have to do.

Staining brick is not like painting a house - get your arms around the parameters with which you must work and align your expectations accordingly.

Did I mention talk to the specific product pro's and get samples ;)

• trigrl09
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Did you use muric acid first or just a pressure washer to clean you brick?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

Just power wash but prep depends on which product and its recommend steps.