Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deeeeeleeeeete

Painting the kitchen floor

Debbie Downer
10 years ago

The old fir floor in the kitchen is too far gone - want to paint it a dark brick red (with cream cabinets and yellow-gold walls) I think it will look fabulous - very vintage.)

There are all kinds of miscellaneous spots and stains all around the floor, besides the usual black water staining around the sink. I know a couple of them are from cat barf (contributed by my wonderful cat) but the rest - I don't know what they are. Could be food spills but who knows.

I can scrub it with ammonia or TSP (who cares if it stains). Or what would you suggest? I'll sand some but I may or may not go deep enough to remove every last bit of surface grease or staining.

Is there such a thing as a bonding primer or something that guaranteed to adhere to anything? I'm not sure what finish coat I want - have been reading about polyurethane paint, epoxy paint (BM makes a version for wood), and the more usual porch and floor enamel.

Like the idea of super durable (I really would like this to be a fairly permanent fix - I do happen to love painted floors in a vintage house). On the other hand.... I care about my lungs

Comments (2)