Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tpatt_gw

stain or paint front door (new home)

tpatt
10 years ago

Hello all!

We just signed an agreement to purchase a home that is about halfway through the construction process. I realized yesterday the home has beautiful cedar front doors facing NE (toward the rising sun). The builder said they paint all front doors now for warranty purposes, but I LOVE cedar and was asking them to do a dark stain and I'd sign off on any warranty related issues. They're going to see about it, but I was wondering if that really is the best idea. Am I going to be stuck reapplying coats or other maintenance once or even twice per year? It is double doors so the costs will pretty much double for any maintenance. How much does this cost and would painting it eliminate any maintenance for the door? I hear cedar holds up well to weather, but we are in south Louisiana and about to enter Summer and temps of 100+ F. I really don't want to be committed to staining these doors every 6 months... any advice?

BTW, if painted, they will be black to match the shutters...

Comments (8)

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

What kind of stain? Wood stain? Solid color stain?

• tpatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I guess wood stain... I'd like to retain the natural wood look but make it a little darker. Protection/longevity is my main concern though.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

This might help

Here is a link that might be useful: marine varnish

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

Yea, the varnish is the key for a situation like this. What you do is stain the door and then apply the varnish, at least 3 coats. Re-apply the varnish as needed...I would do it once a year but it really depends on how much sun the door actually gets. The sun will beat on the door and slowly wear away that varnish layer until it is gone in some spots and then the sun has direct access to the stain and once that happens, the door will weather quickly. So, keep that varnish layer fresh and you will never have to stain the door again.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Norm's message there is a good one!

I'm SO glad he states the importance of the "many coats" wisdom in cases like this!!
    * SO many people think 2 coats is all it needs for 10 years....
    * ....AND....when that doesn't hold true, they'll blame the PRODUCT!!!!
    * Even some of the best varnishes on the planet, like FPE's Eurothanes/Boat-Varnishes, need a good initial multiple-coat workup.
    * THEN....>> , yearly maintenance-coats SHOULD be done.
    * This is a pretty good analogy to sunscreens! You KNOW a heavily applied coat ain't gonna last all week...;-)
    * This might not be what you WANT to hear....but it's what you HAVE to hear...

If you PAINT them, Black doors are hotter. Thank your lucky stars they face NE!!
    I'd consider FPE's Black Hollandlac. STUPIFYING Gloss levels & quality with this stuff!

Faron

• PRO
    10 years ago

It was the only link I could find that showed the importance of multiple coats, 2 is not gonna do it.

• tpatt
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much for this. I think I will try to have them stain it... one last concern, and please excuse my ignorance, but where is a good site that will guide you through reapplying the varnish? I assume you have to take the doors down for 24 hours at a time to reapply? How does one keep a secure home without exterior doors for 24-48 hours?

• PRO
    10 years ago

No need at all to remove the doors that I can see.