Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting doors and mouldings

Posted by musicteacher (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 17, 13 at 10:36

I'm getting ready to paint a lot of doors and door surrounds, which probably are in their original 30 year old paint. Assuming they are oil painted, besides sanding and primer, do I need to do something to get rid of oils from hands etc.? (oil or waterbase primer?) There are a lot of dings from moving furniture in and out, can I wood fill outside corners or leave them and just hope being all white will disguise them enough? Last question: What is a good neutral "go with everything not quite white"? I really like their 30 year old patina - just not all the scratches. Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting doors and mouldings

You should wash off the fingerprints and surface dirt with powdered Dirtex, then sand and then prime. Priming over dirt or oils doesn't work because this may prevent the primer from sticking which is really the most important part of the process, especially when you are converting from oil based to latex. You can use some wood filler on the dents and dings, but I usually use drywall mud or some shrink free spackling because it is easier to sand.

o

Thanks Paint guy!

o

A great wood filler is Abutron 2 part epoxy. You mix equal parts (vinyl gloves, needing them into a ball, which starts the needed chemical reaction and then you apply and let it dry. Easy to sand when dry and no horrible smell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here