Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annkh_nd

Color can be so tricky!

annkh_nd
10 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen - replacing kitchen cabinets. I am going to paint before the new cabinets go in, and I'm working on choosing a color now. After going through what seemed like hundreds of samples, I narrowed it down to 6, then one.

I bought a pint sample, and painted a few small areas in the kitchen and dining room. While the color (BM Putnam Ivory) looked tan on the sample, and in most places I painted, on one wall it looked decidedly gray, no matter what the lighting (incandescent or sunlight).

I got a second pint sample, in a lighter color (elephant tusk, which I thought would have a green undertone, but almost has a hint of blue in my lighting), and painted different areas of the kitchen. On the wall where PI showed gray, I painted above the new color above and below it, covering the yellow/gold that's on the wall now.

What a difference! Without any yellow nearby, the PI comes out a warm tan, even on the wall that looked gray before. I learned a very valuable lesson! And I am more confident than ever that I love Putnam Ivory.

No question, just an interesting (to me) revelation.

Comments (2)

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Yep, you are right. Color is tricky. Glad you found your perfect color so easily.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting your experience! I have been playing the same color games and it is amazing!

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County