Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Exterior Paint Color Advice Needed

Posted by susandances (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 26, 12 at 10:23

Our 8 year old home is in desperate need of a paint job. The current color is BM White Sand. It is just too yellow for me. I am leaning towards a beigey-gray color like BM Winterwood or Rockport Gray. I'm going to do white trim and black shutters. I would like a door color that "pops" or is a little different other than classic black. I was thinking about BM Whythe Blue.

I am open to suggestions/advice. We live in the country and I would like that classic New England style look. I don't want to go too dark on the house, but I need something different than what I have and not yellow.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Exterior Paint Color Advice Needed

Love how the dog got in the shot - :) So cute.

Rockport, white trim and Wythe door - that's a good one. Definitely will get you in the New England *look*.

Just make sure the beigy-gray works with the roof.

o

Funcolors...thanks for the advice. No I'm really confused. I wasn't really thinking about roof color. When I looked at my roof from the street it is definitely brown (ugh!). I don't want to go with a brown house (unless it is a rich brown) and I really didn't want yellow. Everything I read is that you have to do beige (boring), yellow, brown or white. I guess I could go with classic white but my neighbor directly next door has white. I like edgecomb gray, but it is similar to my color.

Now I'm really confused!!!!! Please...any more help out there would e greatly appreciated!!!

o

Brown as in random small hits of a warm gray but it's really b.r.o.w.n. Hits of warm gray not rust/dark orange, right?

Either way you can absolutely find the right gray. Don't have to go with yellow, beige or white.

But it's the roof that is going to dictate - or guide you - to *which* gray. Should be easy because the roof is the only permanent element you have to deal with.

Could be worse. . . i.e. some people have a brown roof + a taupe stone covering a % of the facade, or brick work on a 1/3 of the facade, etc.

o

Neighbors of ours have Richmond Gray. I love it!

o

I love Richmond Gray, very classy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here