Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tom418

For 'Metal Substrates Only'

tom418
11 years ago

I just bought a can of Benjamin Moore Z235 01 Regal Satin Impervo to do my wood trim inside the house.

The dealer (and another local one nearby) insist that I can use it on wood trim moldings. However, the label on the back of the can says "for metal substrates only"!!!!

Also, on my older can, the label said "Satin Impervo" and "for walls and trim" . While this one says "Satin Impervo" also, it is msissing the "walls and trim" statement.

So, is it safe to use this on wood trim?

Comments (7)

• tom418
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Question answered.

I called Ben Moore's customer service department, and was told that the store misinformed me about the use. It is NOT intended for wood trim. I went with the water based paint instead.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I guess they have made some radical changes lately, because I have used oil satin Impervo, and oil semi gloss Impervo (which is now called Dulamel) on woodwork for decades!
    Casey

• tom418
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sombreuil: I too have used the Impervo oil based paint. But my last can was a C235 01 , and the paint in question was a Z235 01. At $29/quart, I couldn't take a chance on it's not coming out correctly.

Oh and the C235 01 had a label on the front that said "For Walls and trim"! The Z235 01 says "for metal substrates only".

By the way: I actually prefer the finish of the oil base C235 01

I'm waiting to hear back from Moore as to whether there is an OIL based enamel for walls and trim.

Thanks for the reply.

• tom418
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sombreuil: I just found out that Moore STILL MAKES the C235 01 oil based enamel for walls and trim. Apparently, the store owner thought that it was replaced by the Z235 01!

Well, kind of late for me, as I finished painting this room. Too bad that the fellow at Moore's customer service steered me toward the water based enamel (314 01), which I don't think is as good quality as what we've been using "for decades" !

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

I knew they still sold it (in WV) in January, because that was the last qt of Impervo/Dulamel I have bought.
    Casey

• PRO
    Excelsior Paint & Design Carpet One
    5 years ago

Hello! Benjamin Moore retailer here! I’ve been working in this industry for over five years and just had the same question myself! After talking with our Rep I found out that Z235 and C235 are the exact same paint, Z235 is marked for “metal use only” because certain states only allow high VOC paint to be applied to metal substances, not trim and walls! literally The only difference between these two are the labels, they have the exact same formulas, are tinted the same, and should last the same! Hope this helps!

• Jennifer Costello
    4 years ago

I was concerned by the metal warning, it was used by our painter on a wood dresser. I thought it being applied was an issue especially because since painted there is a super strong paint order that will not go away after almost two months. Is it the Z235? Is the Oder dangerous?