Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkplatow

Need spackle advice for tricky situation

lkplatow
13 years ago

Not exactly a paint question, but close enough, right? I'm hoping some of the experts can steer me in the right direction here.

We are fixing up our basement into a playroom, and in the process, we made a few big wide sliding closet doors by glueing two smaller door blanks together. This has left a visible seam in the middle of the doors. I would like to cover this seam so you can't see it, because I'd like to paint the closet doors with chalkboard paint and have them function like big chalkboards for the kids to draw on.

I am wondering what the best product is to use to fill in the seam. I would think a regular spackle might crack as the doors get slid around and banged, so I wonder if the lightweight or vinyl spackle might work better. Or something that dries soft and flexible like caulk might be better from a cracking standpoint, but I wonder if that would hold up under chalkboard paint what with writing on it and such. I was also thinking of something like woodfiller or bondo. And I've also seen rubberized spray-on coatings that you can put over repaired cracks to keep them from opening back up, but I'm not sure whether that would dry sticky or goopy or something and not work for the

Any advice or suggestions on what product might work best would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Comments (5)