Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Semi-gloss paint for walls, trim and ceiling?

Posted by kellyd743 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 9:43

I want a blank canvas to show off furntiure,reclaimed, distressed hardwood floors, and architexture. My friend/designer recommends painting the ceiling, walls, and trim the same shade of white (happens to be SW Reserved White) which I am fine with. She also wants it ALL to be semi-gloss. My painter (76 year old father) and husband are hesitant. Have y'all seen this and is it a good look? This is happening in nearly every room on my main floor so I can't afford a mistake! Btw, my windows and doors will be painted a darker shade - Urban Bronze.
THANKS!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Semi-gloss paint for walls, trim and ceiling?

It's okay if you are willing to overlook what high sheen does to wall surfaces. Every flaw in every surface will now be amplified. Some designers don't even consider that. I think this look is fine in an older house with old wavy plaster walls that are probably not going to look that good no matter what sheen you use.

o

My friend/designer

needs to go to decorating school.

a semi gloss will look like a hospital room, or most likely much, much worse as paintguy has explained.

not a good choice at all

o

Thanks - we over ruled the suggestion.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here