Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Does Peel Stop have to be top coated?

Posted by barbcollins (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 22, 14 at 9:31

We have exposed a ceiling in a project house that is over 150 years old. It was painted with Lime WhiteWash, and of course it is cracking & flaking off now.

I started scraping and was planning on painting it all while, but after scraping the majority of the paint off, I love the look of the bottoms of the floor boards as is. I was thinking of coating them with poly to keep them from flaking anymore, but then I found out about Peel Stop Clear, which sounds better because it could be painted later if I change my mind.

But I can't find info anywhere about whether I could leave the Peel Stop uncoated. Any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Does Peel Stop have to be top coated?

My only thought is that it's a primer, which means it is not meant to stand alone. If you leave it unpainted for a while, you will need to sand it really well or you may have adhesion problems.

o

As paintguy said, you will either have to sand it or better yet, re prime it before the finish coat. Primers are formulated for the finish paint to stick too, so the longer you leave it unfinished the quicker it breaks down. You could probably get away with leaving it for a month or so.

o

No it would be years before I might attempt to paint over it, if I don't paint over it now.

o

Then you will need to prime it again

o

Ok, priming again does nto bother me. It's whether the clear stop alone would hold up.

Since it's on the ceiling it wouldn't be "touched" often, but there would be vibrations and some flexing from upstairs.

o

It will most likely hold up OK

o

I have not been able to find any peel stop locally, so I went by my local SW and got some of their Prime RX Peel Bonding Primer.

I have a small section of the ceiling that will be hidden behind a wall, so I tested on two boards. One has very little paint and the other still has some.

It goes on thick, kind of the consistency of pudding, and yes it is white in the can and when you paint it on. But I could see it clearing up as it was drying. I'll be back up to the house this afternoon and will be anxious to see how it looks.

o

Personally, I have not been happy with the RX stuff but it might work with what you are doing. Look for Gardz, if you can find that, it will work.

o

I stopped by the house yesterday and standing there looking up at it I couldn't tell which two boards I painted.

If I rubbed my fingers on an unpainted section it felt rouch and chalky residue fell. Rubbing my fingers on the painted section it felt smoother and nothing fell in my hair.

Now I need to finish scraping so I can get painting!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here