Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barbcollins_gw

Does Peel Stop have to be top coated?

barbcollins
9 years ago

We have exposed a ceiling in a project house that is over 150 years old. It was painted with Lime WhiteWash, and of course it is cracking & flaking off now.

I started scraping and was planning on painting it all while, but after scraping the majority of the paint off, I love the look of the bottoms of the floor boards as is. I was thinking of coating them with poly to keep them from flaking anymore, but then I found out about Peel Stop Clear, which sounds better because it could be painted later if I change my mind.

But I can't find info anywhere about whether I could leave the Peel Stop uncoated. Any thoughts?

Comments (13)

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

My only thought is that it's a primer, which means it is not meant to stand alone. If you leave it unpainted for a while, you will need to sand it really well or you may have adhesion problems.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    9 years ago

As paintguy said, you will either have to sand it or better yet, re prime it before the finish coat. Primers are formulated for the finish paint to stick too, so the longer you leave it unfinished the quicker it breaks down. You could probably get away with leaving it for a month or so.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No it would be years before I might attempt to paint over it, if I don't paint over it now.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Then you will need to prime it again

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, priming again does nto bother me. It's whether the clear stop alone would hold up.

Since it's on the ceiling it wouldn't be "touched" often, but there would be vibrations and some flexing from upstairs.

• PRO
    9 years ago

It will most likely hold up OK

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not been able to find any peel stop locally, so I went by my local SW and got some of their Prime RX Peel Bonding Primer.

I have a small section of the ceiling that will be hidden behind a wall, so I tested on two boards. One has very little paint and the other still has some.

It goes on thick, kind of the consistency of pudding, and yes it is white in the can and when you paint it on. But I could see it clearing up as it was drying. I'll be back up to the house this afternoon and will be anxious to see how it looks.

• PRO
    9 years ago

Personally, I have not been happy with the RX stuff but it might work with what you are doing. Look for Gardz, if you can find that, it will work.

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I stopped by the house yesterday and standing there looking up at it I couldn't tell which two boards I painted.

If I rubbed my fingers on an unpainted section it felt rouch and chalky residue fell. Rubbing my fingers on the painted section it felt smoother and nothing fell in my hair.

Now I need to finish scraping so I can get painting!

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update: I have finished painting the ceiling, and am happy with results. The RXBond did exactly what I wanted. It did darken the wood a little, but it's ok. No more peeling paint or chakly residue falling from the ceiling.

If it lasts a couple years, I will be happy.

• Michael
    9 years ago

According to the spec sheet:

For optimal performance, this primer
    must be topcoated with a latex, alkyd/oil,
    water based epoxy, or solvent based
    epoxy coating on architectural applica-
    tions.

For exterior exposure, this primer must
    be topcoated within 14 days with archi-
    tectural latex or oil finishes.
    For better performance when priming an
    entire house, use Exterior Latex or Oil-
    Based Primers.

If you like the look, keep it protected by applying a coat of flat acrylic polyurethane.

Here is a link that might be useful: Primer

• barbcollins
    Original Author
    9 years ago

brushworks - The reason I used the RXBond was because I did not want to use poly.

I asked the guy a Sherwin WIlliams and at first he insisted that I needed to topcoat, and couldn't understand why I wouldn't paint it.

Finally he admitted that telling people that they must topcoat it what they have been told to say. He said you will probably be fine, but you didn't hear that from me.

• Michael
    9 years ago

The top coat is to ensure optimal performance of the primer.

It's your choice to use it as you wish.