Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pressure Treated w/moisture at 20%

Posted by snuggles2010 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 24, 12 at 9:28

How to finish pressure treated lumber gets asked here a lot and I've read through all the threads and could still use some help.

I have a garden shed in SE Wisconsin. The floor is pressure treated plywood and there is a ramp that is pressure treated 2x4s. It's newly built.

I've read that new PT is probably 40-50% moisture and not suitable for finishing right away.

The builder got the PT from a big box retailer and with my moisture meter, I'm measuring about 20% - I'm guessing it "weathered" at the retailer then?

I'm using a Cabot Problem Solver Oil Stain primer which says it is suggested for pressure treated lumber and its main stipulation is moisture should be 15% or under.

Appearance wise it still looks rather green, but the moisture meter says not so wet.

So really three questions -

1) If it's below moisture levels, am I ok to go ahead and coat or should I still let it weather?

2) Since it was built already, I can only coat top and sides of the floor and ramp - not bottom. Still good idea to finish? I know ideally all sides, but can't do it this time.

3) I was planning to use Cabot solid arylic stain as top coat on the floor with the intent there being to tide me over until I can afford to do some FastDeck flooring. I was going to mix in some sand for the ramp. Good/bad ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pressure Treated w/moisture at 20%

1] Go ahead and paint. Your choice of primer was a good one.
2] Don't worry about that. Some will tell you NOT to back coat, even if you could.
3] make sure it's their solid decking and not just solid acrylic, which would be too soft.

o
RE: Pressure Treated w/moisture at 20%

Thanks, appreciate the input. Yep, the floor will be the decking stain.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here