Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zukeypur

Painting outdoor furniture/blocking

angiebangie
9 years ago

I bought some very weathered adirondack chairs with the intention of painting them. I sanded, vacuumed, removed dust with a tack cloth, and painted on a coat of exterior primer. The primer dried for 24 hours before painting one coat with SW exterior superpaint. I used a brush for in between all of the slats and a roller (very thin coat) for all of the flat surfaces. Now, almost 48 hours later, the finish is still tacky. It was in the 80s with high humidity when I painted. I am painting in a garage that has a window AC unit, although I haven't used it yet. Please help me find a way to fix this! I'm sure people in the humid coastal areas of the US paint, so I'm assuming there is something I can do to salvage the chairs. The kicker is that I really need to get these done in the next few days. My daughter is having surgery and will be in the hospital for several weeks, followed by a lengthy recovery afterwards.

I have lightly sanded the paint at this point. I do have some deglosser that I found in a cabinet left behind by the previous homeowners. What is the best course of action?
Thanks!