Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Q about Valspar brilliant metals

Posted by oopsie913 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 23, 10 at 8:46

Has anyone used this product, and on what? I might have done something similar years ago on my mantel and a table but it was more like a streaking effect. Has anyone used this product on a wall. I may want to do this in a very small full bath that has no windows to create a bit of drama in an otherwise boring bathroom.
Any advice? Is it easy to use and do you just paint it over any regular paint?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Q about Valspar brilliant metals

I have not used Valspar, but have used many other brands. You can certainly use this over your existing paint. Eggshell is best, but if you have flat already on your walls, you will just need to do a couple of extra coats. You will need at least 2, anyway. I don't know what your base color is now, but for best results, use a dark base coat. If you are unsure, do a small sample before you tackle the entire wall (you can always paint over).
It is a very effective technique, and will definately add drama. I did a small powder room, sans window, with a gold metallic on walls (using a dark brown base) and a silver metallic on the ceiling (with a deep pewter base). Simply brush the metallic paint over your base, working the room several times. It's OK to tape the mouldings.
I will try to add a picture...but good luck with your project!

o

I figured out how to post pics. Hereis a small powder room.

Dramatic Powder Room

o

painter girl , that just looks wonderful, and I love the way you did the mirror to match. I am leaning toward a pale and darker violet and, funny thing, I will be putting a white and crystal small chandelier in this bath as well. Thanks. What a good photo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here