Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
adac_gw

Zinsser BIN primer in the entire house

Adac
10 years ago

Hello,
We've just bought a house with pet urine odor problems. We knew the previous owners had pets but didn't realize how much damage they did. We removed the carpet, replaced some subfloor and drywall, cleaned the hardwood floor, and will install new hardwood floor and refinish the existing one. We also painted all the exposed subfloor with Zinsser BIN B-I-N Shellac Base Primer Stain Blocker. I still feel an odor, I guess it may be in the walls too...The house was quite dirty too. I wanted to prime and paint the walls with nontoxic zero VOC primer and paint from AFM safecoat, but now I am considering priming all the walls with Zinsser BIN B-I-N Shellac Base Primer Stain Blocker. Is it OK to do this? From my reading this shellac based primer is mostly used for spot priming. Anyone has experience with this primer? can I still use the AFM safecoat paint as a topcoat? I want to keep the fumes/vocs to a minimum because we are moving with our 5 year old who has allergy issues.
Thanks!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

Yes you can prime just about anything with BIN. If you have already used it, you know a respirator is certainly handy, if not necessary. You can apply any paint over this as far as I know( never heard of what you are planning to use)

• PRO
    10 years ago

not sure about the ethanol fumes but a good respirator WILL work, I use one all the time, here is what is in BIN

Chemical Name CAS-No. Weight %
    Less Than
    ACGIH TLVTWA
    ACGIH TLVSTEL
    OSHA PEL-TWA OSHA PELCEILING
    Hydrotreated Light Distillate 64742-47-8 15.0 200 mg/m3 N.E. N.E. N.E.
    Magnesium Silicate 14807-96-6 10.0 2 mg/m3 N.E. 0.1 mg/m3 N.E.
    Titanium Dioxide 13463-67-7 10.0 10 mg/m3 N.E. 15 mg/m3 [Total
    Dust] N.E.
    Solvent Naptha, Light Aromatic 64742-95-6 10.0 50 ppm N.E. 50 ppm N.E.

• lazy_gardens
    10 years ago

The stuff I used was shellac - alcohol based - with a large quantity oif titanium dioxide to make it white.

Solvent was EtOH, not Naphtha

• Adac
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for your responses.
    The painter tries to convince me that the walls dont smell bad but I think I'll go ahead and use the shellac based primer.
    Is there any difference between the Zinsser BIN and Sherwin Williams shellac?
    I see it has a lot of Titanium Dioxide. Should that concern me? is it going to stay on the wall or it may come off and pollute the air?

• PRO
    10 years ago

I would use the Zinnser and just don't worry about, what is in it. It works and is perfectly safe after it has dried

• paintguy22
    10 years ago

The titanium dioxide is one of the quality ingredients in paint that make paint good...the more the better. It's not a pollutant.

• naturalie12
    10 years ago

Hi I am dealing with a similar situation : one room has an unidentified smell . I was suggested to cover walls and ceiling with BIN shellac primer sealer but I wuld like to know if You were satisfied after it dried in terms of allergies, or if there was some smell and off gazing from this product after it dried ?
    Did someone use the Zinsser odor less similar primer? Does it cover odors as well as the Shellac Primer? There is also the zinsser BIN 2 ?

• geoffrey_b
    10 years ago

Shellac has an odor (methly alcohol - wood alcohol) when being applied, but it dries quickly, and the smell is gone. It's a great sealer.

Most older furniture 1900 - 1940 was shellaced.