Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ritaweeda

Paint and Primer all in One...

ritaweeda
9 years ago

I'm not a pro so work with me. I decided to re-paint 2 wood rocking chairs for the front porch. They were originally painted white (latex) but it's been almost 10 years and were beginning to look bad. Since I also have a cast aluminum bench out there that has a very dark blue, nearly black color and I like the way it looks, I decided to paint the chairs the same color. I bought Glidden High Endurance Paint & Primer (exterior) Semi-gloss in the Admiral Blue. The color is gorgeous, exactly what I wanted. But I wound up putting 3 coats on and thought it looked great but the lighting was getting low. Now in better light I am still seeing streaks of the original white paint. I thought since it said there was a primer in the paint this would not be an issue. Do they not put opaque pigments in it since they are calling it a primer? I'm not a pro at paint but I do use Artist's paints and I do know that in Artist's paints there are transparent paints and opaque paints. Well, anyway, I'm going to keep trying to cover this but what should I have done? This color is great I would hate to have to completely redo it with another product.

Comments (14)

• paintguy22
    9 years ago

It's just a poor covering color and you are going over white. It has nothing to do with primer really. The paint and primer in one gimmick that all paint manufacturers are using this days is a lie. There isn't primer in there and even if there was, it wouldn't help with anything. It's just another way to say that the paint is self priming which all paints are anyway. The only thing you could have done is prime with a real primer tinted towards the color of your topcoat but what you are doing is just fine also. Some colors don't cover white in two coats....sometimes it takes three or more.

• ritaweeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I've searched this problem out and evidently I'm not the only one. I finally gave them both the 4th overall coat and even went back and hit some places again. Overall they look great but if you get up close and really inspect it's not perfect, I'll just have to deal with it. But was wondering if I did something wrong for the next time, hopefully not for at least another 10 years!

• Faron79
    9 years ago

I don't care WHAT the paint says on the can!!

* I wouldn't have let you out of the store without a GRAY-primer!
    * I STILL would've also told you to plan on 3 paint-coats too!
    * So many people badly misunderstand "Primers". Priming is for ADHESION of the top-coats.
    * The color-hiding property of priming is only a side-benefit.
    * I've been retail paint over 12 years. We're an independent store that pulls no punches when it comes to painting, paints, priming, etc......
    * And....I know for a FACT:

>>> Some companies were sending-out new can-wrappers to replace their existing "old" wrappers. And...Voila! Now it's "Paint & primer in One"!!!!
    >>> There was also direction out there from some companies that..."As long as it's 100% Acrylic, you can call it "P&P".
    >>> Weeeeellllll...Most decent paints have been 100% Acrylic resin-builds for a long time!!!!

(and technically...there is really NO SUCH thing as "Primer-in-the-paint!)

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

One of my favorite GW Paint Quotes from Faron:

Primer/paint combo advertising is in principle the same as saying 'Try our new Cake & Frosting in one!' ~Faron J.

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Fun-C-

You are an absolute HOOT!!!
    Did you just "whip-up" that fancy cake?

You're also not doing the dieters out there ANY good...;-)

Faron

• PRO
  • PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

I did not whip up that fancy cake. But I've shared your quote and the cake pic a few places on social media and they're always a big hit.

:-D

• Faron79
    9 years ago

Fun-C,

You're sharing my "goofy wisdom"?!?!?!?

God help us all....;-)

Luv ya,
    Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

Absolutely. You 'paint guys' on this forum are legend. I made sure of that. ;)

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

I ALWAYS, ALWAYS appreciate the advice of the pros on her like Paintguy, Funcolors, and Faron, but I just have to share an awesome little paint recommended by me, a DIY'r.

Rustoleum American Accents is an AWESOME paint for wooden indoor or outdoor furniture. I painted a small chair black over old red paint - 1 coat. I painted a wooden trash can cover red over stain - 1 coat. I painted an old work table/bench that came from an old post office from the 40's - 1 coat, black over old chippy paint sanded down.. They turned out great. But I used Zinzzer 123 primer under all these projects.

And to be honest, even though it is recommended for outside, I have never actually had any of my projects exposed to the outside so can't vouch for that. The one bench has wintered in an unheated garage. It would definitely be my go-to for outdoor furniture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rustoleum American Accents

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    9 years ago

@tuesday that's what is so great about this forum, you can stop by and get input from pro's and DIYers with success stories... and sometimes not so successful stories.

And we can't forget to add ChrisN and Brushworks to that list. ;)

• PRO
  • tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Absolutely...must not leave those two guys out!
    Love Faron's quote!

• tim45z10
    9 years ago

Its good to know the primer story.
    I bought behr pÃÂ¥p and used it on facia that was peeling.
    I was very happy with its performance.
    A touch up second coat did the trick.