Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help me paint my house!

Posted by raddad (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 1:50

We are selling our house in San Francisco, which hasn't been painted in quite a while (before we owned it).

Right now it's a drab tan with brown brick. I want to paint it to better appeal to today's buyers... I'm thinking a modern color scheme, but also welcoming and friendly. The interior is already redone to contemporary standards. I think I'd like to paint the brick and roof tiles too.

Any and all opinions are appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help me paint my house!

IMO , painting the brick and or the roof tiles would be a very, very big mistake.

o

Isn't the RE market crazy/hot in SF? Do you need to do much to actually sell it?

Do you know what the original houses looked like? It now seems to have an eclectic mix of architectural styles! Don't paint the brick. Freshen up the stucco with the same color. Do NOT paint the roof tiles.

I would invest in a custom wood garage door, since that is a big part of your front façade. We are in LA and purchased doors from Ranch House Doors 2 years ago. Very happy with the product and company. They are in So. CA, link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ranch House Garage Doors

o

I think the building looks fine as is. Put the money into getting larger, more in scale plants in the planter boxes in front and call it a day.

o

I wouldn't paint anything that's not already painted. And I wouldn't get rid of anything original at this point (like the garage door).

o

one would think your real estate agent would have local info in this regard ...

do NOT paint brick.. if the next guy wants to.. all the power to them.. but one might wonder how many people would walk right by.. because you did so ...

IMHO ... you are way over thinking this ...

ken

o

I agree with others - do NOT paint brick or tile - it can never be undone. You might like green trim and doors - but the next person might hate it and want to paint it brown, again.

Add color and pop with landscaping - it's pretty much nothing right now which makes it look really plain.

o

I would not spend a penny. You will likely get multiple offers over asking price anyway.

o

I'd put some tall and striking plants in those planters (where you currently have something itty bitty) to improve curb appeal. Bring a picture of the house to the garden center and ask for their advice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here