Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Neutral Paint for Whole House

Posted by jenn52 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 16, 13 at 1:28

Hi. My new landlord is letting me pick a color before he paints. I don't get to try it on the walls first, so I'm just kind of winging it. I like Clay Beige by BM but im nervous about just picking it. The carpet is a tan/light brown color. All my furniture is Pottery Barn dark brown. My living room decor is dark purple, greens, natural burlap. My bedroom is blue/green. I want something that will go with all of this. Can't be a dark color, just something neutral and more than white. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Neutral Paint for Whole House

I would definitely look at Manchester Tan by BM. So many people have recommended it saying it's a perfect neutral with no undertones. I picked up a sample last week and really like it. It would look good next to all of the colors that you mentioned. You may want to google " rooms painted Manchester Tan". It really is nice. Good luck!

o

I have BM Shaker Beige in my house now and I love it.

o

I tried Clay Beige and it didn't work for me. I did however use a lighter shade similar to that called Muslin. It looks great and I found it by searching for BM's top sellers. I got a sample of Manchester Tan for my dining room and it's just okay in my light; but, it must work for a lot of folks b/c it's very popular. HTH

o

Get paint samples of colors you're considering and paint two coats on a big sheet of poster paper. Better yet, paint two or three sheets of poster paper. Then move the poster paper/paint samples around so you can see how the color looks in different rooms at different times of day in different light. You'll know quickly what colors work and what doesn't.

You should also ask for color advice on the Home Decorating forum -- folks over there love this kind of question.

Allie

Here is a link that might be useful: GW home decorating forum

o

My guest bath is a pretty neutral...BM hazelnut cream.

o

Can you just pick a light neutral in the same color family as the carpet?

SW Divine White or Kilim Beige might work for you if it blends with your carpeting. They're good neutral beige with no obvious undertones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here