Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenn52_gw

Neutral Paint for Whole House

jenn52
10 years ago

Hi. My new landlord is letting me pick a color before he paints. I don't get to try it on the walls first, so I'm just kind of winging it. I like Clay Beige by BM but im nervous about just picking it. The carpet is a tan/light brown color. All my furniture is Pottery Barn dark brown. My living room decor is dark purple, greens, natural burlap. My bedroom is blue/green. I want something that will go with all of this. Can't be a dark color, just something neutral and more than white. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• sis2two
    10 years ago

I would definitely look at Manchester Tan by BM. So many people have recommended it saying it's a perfect neutral with no undertones. I picked up a sample last week and really like it. It would look good next to all of the colors that you mentioned. You may want to google " rooms painted Manchester Tan". It really is nice. Good luck!

• Wolfpackmom
    10 years ago

I have BM Shaker Beige in my house now and I love it.

• sreedesq
    10 years ago

I tried Clay Beige and it didn't work for me. I did however use a lighter shade similar to that called Muslin. It looks great and I found it by searching for BM's top sellers. I got a sample of Manchester Tan for my dining room and it's just okay in my light; but, it must work for a lot of folks b/c it's very popular. HTH

• ashef
    10 years ago

Get paint samples of colors you're considering and paint two coats on a big sheet of poster paper. Better yet, paint two or three sheets of poster paper. Then move the poster paper/paint samples around so you can see how the color looks in different rooms at different times of day in different light. You'll know quickly what colors work and what doesn't.

You should also ask for color advice on the Home Decorating forum -- folks over there love this kind of question.

Allie

Here is a link that might be useful: GW home decorating forum

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

My guest bath is a pretty neutral...BM hazelnut cream.

• randita
    10 years ago

Can you just pick a light neutral in the same color family as the carpet?

SW Divine White or Kilim Beige might work for you if it blends with your carpeting. They're good neutral beige with no obvious undertones.