Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staining fence without power washing?

Posted by abufish (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 9, 11 at 0:43

(Also posted on Deck & patio forum)

Just move in to a home with really old fence (15 years). It looks black-grayish.

I did some research online says the best way is to power wash it, then apply some stain. But some friends told me I can apply semi-transparent stain directly to aged fence. Will that stain stay well? Any suggestions? Can I skip power wash? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staining fence without power washing?

Friends that give advice like THAT aren't really friends (LOL!)!!

NO....
You CANNOT skip cleaning/washing that fence.

Unless you like totally wasting your $$$...

* Use a good deck/fence cleaner, let it dwell/react for ~ 15 min.
* Then, use the P/W to hose it off.
* Now you'll have a CLEAN fence, with some original color back.
* Stain will look MUCH better!
* Sikkens SRD, & Penofin Red or Blue-label are very good S/T stains.

Faron

o

Thank you Faron for your reply!

I don't have a power washer, will high pressure garden nozzle (like a jet nozzle) work after I use some deck cleaner?

o

1st choice:
Rent a Pressure-washer.

2nd choice:
Rent a Pressure-washer...
. .
. 8th choice:
Use your hose-nozzle.

I'm serious. The P/W will be a much better use of your time, and do a MUCH better job cleaning!!
Just use the 90deg fan tip, & keep it moving.
No closer than 1 FOOT to the wood.

Faron

o

Faron, thanks, you are right...

I tried today using garden hose with jet nozzle. Not good at all. I tried chemical->brush->rinse, chemical->rinse, and brush->rinse... The only good result sample is the first option, chemical + brushing + rinsing. It is going to be too much work if I have to brush clean the 100 feet of my fences! So pressure washer sounds like the only way to do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here