Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kenai1_gw

Paint - Sealer

Kenai1
10 years ago

I have made a huge error in judgment and am looking for the best solution from the paint experts.

In a remodel project I installed pex radiant in-floor heating in a poured gypcrete pad. I intend to install a manufactured wood flooring to finish the floor. During the construction process, I noticed that the flooring was chipping developing gouges in the gypcrete from the tools and ladder usage. To remedy the problem I decided to apply a coat of sealer onto the gypcrete with anticipation that it would also serve to prevent any gypcrete dust from building up and coming through any cracks of the finished hard wood flooring. I had a huge lapse in judgment when I came upon a one gallon can of very old concrete sealer product left on the shelf in the back of my garage. It was left from the previous owner and based on the antique labeling on the can could have potentially dated back to the early 1960s. To my very little credit, I did shake the can well and tested it on a sample prior to applying it and it appeared to go on ok. It went on very thin and appeared to dry or at least completely absorb into the gypcrete. With the aid of a gas mask I was wearing when I applied it I did not realize how bad it was off gassing however. It appears dry and is not tacky.

The problem: While it appears to have completely dried, the floor is still horribly off gassing. It has lessoned over time but it has been two months now and is unacceptable to live in as is. The odor seams to be petroleum based similar the thinner or gasoline. I no longer have the can to research the contents.

Will the problem self correct itself in time to where is will not be an issue or noticeable?

Is there a way to neutralize the reaction?

If it this is a self correcting problem, should I hold off installing the floor for another month or so to let it continue to let the sealer cure?

If I should apply a modern day top coat sealer to the first coat to remedy the problem, what kind should I buy? (consider- the floor is heated from below to 120F so the second coat must also be suitable for this purpose.)

Thank you, Kenai1

Comments (3)