Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sanjuangirl

Finished traditional cabinets turned out shiny! Help me "matte"

sanjuangirl
10 years ago

My Cabinets were just hung in my kitchen remodel and they are shiny. Shiny was not at all what I was expecting or wanting. I had them lacquered as a last step to increase durability. I've read that we should do the lacquer to preserve the new finish. It was a large up charge in both money and a lot of additional time. I guess they used the wrong type of lacquer. The cabinets are antiqued and glazed in an old world style; that is , they were before the glaze application.
Does anyone know what might be done, if anything? I am heart sick.
Could an additional coat of matte lacquer be added to tone down the shine? I don't even know if there is such a thing as matte lacquer.

Please help if you can.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

ask whomever did it

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

They're the ones that made the mistake, I thought I might be able to get advise here from paint experts.

I do hope someone here has a suggestion. Otherwise I guess I'll have to get used to it.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

You can put the glossier top coats on first for durability and then use a lower sheen for the final finish. It's done with paints and poly. Marine varnish also has lower sheens. I don't know what finishes are available in "lacquer" though. Maybe it's also possible to do a hand rub on lacquer to dull and soften it, although it might become a bit cloudy.

You could check in Woodworking and on a fine furniture woodbuilding forum (there are some around on the net).

No testing or samples to view before they did this?

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No we did not sample with the lacquer, only with the paint and glaze. I didn't see the lacquered cabinets finished until they were putting them up as in "finished".

Someone else posted that I should use super fine grade steel wool and that would dull them.

I'm going to try that on a spare door. Maybe I'll try the matte lacquer too.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    10 years ago

DO NOT use steel wool, it will become imbedded in the finish and rust.. I doubt that is the look you are going for.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Get many opinions and, above all, talk to some fine woodworkers who make cabinetry and furniture. Look for technical articles/books. Not just conversations.

Don't do the whole door as a test. You will likely need to experiment a bit.

Have you talked with them yet?

• sanjuangirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I tried the steel wool on door I'm not going to use. It left tiny scratch marks. I also tried a magic eraser and it seemed to takr a bit of the sheen off.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

"I tried the steel wool on door I'm not going to use. It left tiny scratch marks. "

They use very fine steel wool for finishes. 0000 or maybe even above.

Please let us know how you solve this!

• rwiegand
    10 years ago

rub out using 0000 steel wool or a very fine scotchbrite pad (white or light gray) if you have steel wool rust paranoia (I've never seen it happen in 40 years of finishing and refinishing using steel wool). I'd use some linseed oil with the steel wool. Polish with the grain, not across it. You can also dull a finish using an auto polishing compound (the kind that has some abrasive in it).

Pumice and rottenstone and a lot of work can produce whatever sheen you want and a beautiful finish. My kitchen cabinets don't get that level of care!

• snoonyb
    10 years ago

Try KRUD-CUTTER, it cuts the sheen on oil based enamels.

And yes there are low sheen lacquers, even in the DIY spray can, by VARATHANE.

• CEFreeman
    10 years ago

Be careful applying other things on a laquered finish.

I think my first step would be to talk to the cabinet people.
    If they are unable to help, I'd use an old decoupage method.

Take 300 grit sand paper. It's almost smooth. That and water, baby or mineral oil and in small circles, polish the finish. It will take the sheen off and not leave any scratches nor metalic pieces like steel wool.

Believe it or not, don't press too hard!

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company