Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting one side of a fence

Posted by noodlesportland (My Page) on
Mon, May 7, 12 at 23:43

I understand that we cannot paint our side of the fence if the neighbor does not want to paint his. Our paint would bleed through to his side and the issue would be that ours would look splotchy. Does anyone here have any ideas about this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting one side of a fence

What is your fence made of, wire, paper,...?

o

Whose property is the fence located on? Use a slim jim roller and paint one side, yours.

o

no comment, but the fence made of cardboard comes to mind

o

Well, thanks, I guess. No one has been helpful. I have been told different things by different painters regarding wood bleeding through if both sides are not painted.

o

How thick is the wood on the fence 1/32"? Have you even tried in an unseen area to see if it would bleed through? Where have you found these 'painters" who say it will? I would not believe a "painter" who does not seal decks and fences.

o

I've seen many fences that were painted on one side, and the paint does NOT bleed through the slats and show up on the other side. It would have to seep through 1/2 inch of wood to do that.

What you can get, if you spray the slats, is overspray showing on the narrow sides of the slats, which will be visible from both sides of the fence. Just use a roller and don't slap it on

o

Thanks--It was the fence company guy and also one paint store guy who told me this. But it did not make sense to me so thought I would check here. They also said it would do this over time. How much time I do not know. Not sure how thick the wood in but it is your standard good neighbor fence. Guess we will be painting soon.

o

--It was the fence company guy and also one paint store guy who told me this.

These guys are full of BS, unless you heard them wrong. Paint drys as it cures, after about 4 hours it is not going anywhere.

o

What about stain?

o

Stain also soaks in a tiny bit (a teensy thin fraction of an inch), then when the solvent (water or petroleum based) dries out, it won't go anywhere.

I think you were totally misled by a couple of idiots!

o

One side of our property has a wood privacy fence between us and the neighbors. They painted all their side green and you can't see it at all from our side. We will probably also paint our side and will ask them for the color to make things easier for both of us.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here