Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Primer not drying

Posted by gmp3 (My Page) on
Sun, May 22, 11 at 23:07

I am painting a vanity cabinet. I rolled BM alykd primer on the frame and inside the doors this morning and they are still oily and not dry. it has been 12 hours. What should I do? The primer was a few years old but appeared to be okay.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Primer not drying

Sometimes oil primers can take a day or more to completely dry, depending on drying conditions.

o

Thanks paint guy...I guess this will be a loooong process.

o

24 hours and not dry....

o

Is it rainy and humid there like it is here? I've been putting off painting because it's so crazy humid right now, but I'll have to get back to it tomorrow using alkatex paint, and I suspect I'll run into the same issue.

o

Humidity will slow drying. A small fan will help speed things up.

o

I finally put a space heater in the bathroom with the vanity and put the doors on the porch. Phew it dried and looks beautiful now!

o

Primers that have been tinted with green or black colorants have a bad tendency toward retarded drying. Limit green and black to 4 oz./gal and it's acceptable.
Casey

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here