Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Construction Ceiling Flashing

Posted by motherof3sons (My Page) on
Fri, May 25, 12 at 23:07

The ceiling in our kit/DR/GR has been primed and painted with four coats of paint yet it continues to flash in the seam areas. It does have a light orange peel.

The professional company used SW 700 for priming and 200 for the finish coats. Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Construction Ceiling Flashing

If it's flashing at the seam areas, then wouldn't that be a drywall issue and not a paint issue? I used to use the Pro Mar 200 for ceilings until about 6 months ago when I started noticing flashing problems and I began to have issues with roller marks as well and the paint was just drying down poorly and not to my satisfaction. So, look at the ceiling and try to determine if it's just looking bad all over or just at the seams directly. If the seams are actually a hump or a depression (perhaps recieved too much mud or not enough) then the light coming in through windows will certainly highlight this. If you decide that it is an issue with the paint, then I really doubt that applying more coats will solve the problem. The best shot you have at making the ceiling look better is to prime with something good and then apply one coat of flat paint over the primer. The better the primer is, the better job that primer will do at sealing the surface. The better the surface is sealed, the better that topcoat will look. The trick to really making a ceiling come out perfect is to have the entire ceiling wet with a full coat of paint at the same time. Painting with flat over primer is way better than painting flat over flat.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here