Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
low ceilings...paint color

Posted by valkyrie4791 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 23:04

I have an upstairs to paint in a cape cod style home. The ceilings are fairly low and they are the kind that slant inwards for a couple of feet before the actual ceiling starts. Don't know how to describe it but I have a feeling some will know what I mean. Would I be crazy to paint the ceilings the same color as the walls (medium tan)? I don't want it to look like a cave, but the paint lines along the ceiling edges are soooo hard to get precise, even with tape.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: low ceilings...paint color

In that situation, painting the ceiling and walls the same color is actually a classic color strategy. Painting all the angles and slopes and walls short and tall one color evens out the visual landscape of the room. That does a couple things:
1) It will make the room feel a bit more open and spacious because there aren't a bunch of lines drawn around the room where ceiling/wall colors meet.

2) The light will play on those angles and slopes no matter the color. When you use all one color, the shadows and different angles of reflection create a rather neat-o color effect. Just as interesting as using a different color on the ceiling but one color is a more sophisticated approach. Because it speaks to the fact that you knew light would play a part and you knew to just keep it simple and let the phenomena of color & light do all the work.

o
RE: low ceilings...paint color

I also vote for using the same color on everything.

It's easier, and it usually looks better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here