Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scared to try a paint sprayer

Posted by valkyrie4791 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 23:02

I have a big paint job to do, and I bought a Graco 3900. I'm having some reservations about actually trying it out. My fear is that if I put the paint in and try it and find out that I don't like it, I can't take it back and I've wasted the money. I worry about ease of use and I also worry that I'll be able to make it look nice. Anyone have any experience here? Is this easy to do for a beginner? Any tips?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scared to try a paint sprayer

Spraying is not really easy for a beginner. It takes practice and also some hand-eye coordination. Some people can pick it up fairly quickly though so it may depend on the person. You should probably go to your local rental and try one of their sprayers out for a day to see how you like it.

o
RE: Scared to try a paint sprayer

No. Sprayers are not easy for every beginner. Many people think spraying is easier than painting but it's really not. Plus, in the hands of the unskilled, a sprayer blows through a TON of paint. Feels like that $50 gallon of paint disappears before you even get started.

It takes practice and I wouldn't practice on anything that has to come out perfect. Also, would use cheaper paint. Notice I said cheaper, not cheap. There's a difference.

No reason to be scared as long as you know what you're getting into. Go for it. Try it. You could very well end up being very good with a sprayer and loving the process.

Although I don't know anyone who likes the clean up involved. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here