Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
drywall dust removal

Posted by valkyrie4791 (My Page) on
Sat, May 21, 11 at 22:59

We recently had an upstairs finished in our home. In order to save money, we asked the contractor to exclude painting. He finished the drywall the other day and told me it was ready to paint. I went to paint it today and realized quickly that they had not removed the drywall dust from the walls or the the ceilings (or floors). In fact, the entire area was full of drywall dust to the point that I can't run the AC and it's so hot (it's an upstairs area) that its too hot to paint during the day.

Am I wrong to assume that he should have left the walls clean and truly ready to paint? SHould I ask him to come back and clean up so I can paint--or since I am painting is this technically part of the paint job?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: drywall dust removal

I have never heard of a drywaller that removes dust from the walls. Some do clean the floors of the dust though and others just don't think that is their job.

o

I have never heard of a drywaller that removes dust from the walls. Some do clean the floors of the dust though and others just don't think that is their job.

So true.

o

Several years ago I read in a DIY magazine to leave the dust on the walls since it mixes with the primer to produce a smoother finish. Article was written by a professional painter.

o

That's impossible. Professional painters are too stupid and uneducated to be writing magazine articles. The guy writing the article was probably just making a point. Most painters do not dust the drywall down before painting. This is just one of those things where everybody says you need to do, and not many actually do...similar to wall washing. If you want to take a soft bristle broom or even a Swiffer to the walls to remove the dust, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt. But, painting over the dust is certainly not going to give you any benefit and it's not going to affect the smoothness/roughness of the walls either. I have heard of actual paint failure from painting over drywall dust, but I'm sure you would need to paint over a pretty good sized pile of dust in order for that paint to not adhere.

o

To clean new walls befor paint I use a shop-vac with a drywall dust bag in it, for a nozzle I use a bristled bare floor attachment from our house vac. If the bare walls are sprayed without backrolling it wouldn't take much dust at all to cause a failure.

o

Several years ago I read in a DIY magazine to leave the dust on the walls since it mixes with the primer to produce a smoother finish. Article was written by a professional painter.

Baloney

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here