Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pinstriping Question

Posted by andrelaplume2 (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 22:47

My basement is painted white. We are NY Yankees fans. I was going to paint a wall Blue. My son suggested pinstriping the walls would be cool. I agreed but man I think thats alot of work.

I thought of buying strips of lattice, painting them blue and nailing them. The lattice is expensive and might look 'off' and be a bit of work if ever wanted to remove it.

For pinstriping I see they sell Frog Tape, Blue Hawk Blue tape and BLUE tape (3m?) at Lowes. First off which brand really does not allow seepage. Second, any tips...what are the odds on being successful? I'll have to tape up the stripes and apply 2 coats of paint...maybe 3...how long can the tape be left up before you naeed to rip it off...?

Finally...any other ideas? Hell, if the blue tape were more of a navy color I'd almost consider just using it for the strips...I wonder if it would start to peel off over time.....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pinstriping Question

Here's how to get leak-free stripes

1 - paint the wall the base color
2 - apply the tape and press it down really tight.
3 - paint the edges of the tape with the BASE color ... so if it leaks under, it's the same color and it's invisible.

4 - Paint the exposed area the stripe color. If you do a dark over light, one coat should do it if you load the roller well and don't try to cover the whole wall with one roller-full of paint.

5 - Remove tape PROMPTLY (as soon as the paint is dry to the touch)

o

The walls are already painted with the basecoat: white...have been for some time. I may try this on a spare piece of drywall. The key would be that I only need one coat for the stripe....the sripes will probably only be 2" wide...I wish there was a 2" wide roll of wallpaper in Nany I could just apply!

o

Lowes?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here