Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repainting old dresser/type and finish of paint

Posted by kmallen (My Page) on
Wed, May 26, 10 at 22:45

I keep getting a lot of mixed information on how to repaint an old dresser and what type/finsh of paint to use. Some of the existing paint is chipping off and so I was told it needs to be sanded, primed and then painted. I'm just confused on what type of paint oil, latex, etc and what type of finish to use. I appreciated any help or advice this is our first time trying this.

Thanks
Kara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repainting old dresser/type and finish of paint

sand,clean,prime with BM Fresh Start, finish with BM Satin Impervo waterborne

o

A Latex is fine, AS LONG AS....it's at least a Satin sheen, and a top-line grade within your chosen brand.

My ACE-Royal Latex/Hybrid Cabinet & Trim paint sample-boards are hard as a rock, as are the Cabinet-Coat, C2 Satin Latex, and my stunning FPE ECO Latex board.

Yes...cleaning/sanding/priming...are MANDATORY for best long-run results/toughness.
DO IT RIGHT......ONCE.

(Sorry...sorta sounded like Mike Holmes there! My new fave show!!!)

Faron

o

I forgot to mention I would like to use sherwin williams products since I get a discount. Can anyone recommend a primer and which line of paint for the dresser?

o

You've had very good recommendations above...

Primer? ANY top-line primer will do fine. Just don't use a "Sheetrock-only" primer.

Faron

o

kmallen,

well you have made the process much easier; you know exactly where you are going .

So I do have a very good primer for you to use there. Use their PREP-RITE PRO BLOCK WB PRIMER (B51-W20; 600-6258) and for the paint use PRO-CLASSIC. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here