Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
workingondreamhouse

ProMar 200 - Quality Paint?

I asked our contractor for the highest quality Paint in an eggshell finish for an addition on an existing home- which he assured me he would use. The the painters (who do not speak english) show up with ProMar 200 in a satin finish for all of the interior walls. This does not appear to be a very high quality paint (compounded by lazy painters who appear to be using very little paint and are quite messy). I thought it was a primer, but apprently this is the finish coat of paint.

I'm trying to decide on what points to have it out with the GC - if I just focus on the lack of painting skills or the additional fact that they are using a low quality paint in the wrong finish. We used all BM Aura and Porter Silken Touch last fall when we had the existing house repainted (plaster walls). These went on nicely and look great. I am thoroughly unimpressed with the ProMar 200 - or perhaps just with the horrible job that the painters are doing.

Any opinions are appreciated!

Comments (6)

• paintguy1
    11 years ago

PM200 is in the middle of their line up. Just go to SW's website. Keep in mind that for some painters, PM200 is their highest quality.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    11 years ago

It's contractor-grade paint. I avoid it. It is useful as a high-hiding primer for good topcoats.
    I wouldn't hesitate to use it for ceiling paint.
    Casey

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

promar series would be considered the upper-contractor standard. Good solid count when compared to other brands, but not the top of the line by any means.

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

Yea, I don't know about this one. It's hard to ask a contractor to use the highest quality paint since every painter/contractor may define that differently. Spending more money on a paint doesn't always mean it's better either. Sherwin Williams has that product called Duration Home Interior and it's total crap. I would rather use ProMar 200 instead and it's much cheaper than Duration Home. Most people assume that painters will cheat and/or buy the cheapest paint they can for each job, but this just isn't always the case.

• PRO
    PaintMaster
    8 years ago

Id say it has alot to do with your painters. Promar 200 is an excellent product. Duration is over 40 a gallon...... Promar is 20's.... Alot of times you get what you pay for.... I dont know the situation, but you have to consider the budget... You get what you pay for.... In most cases. Promar 200 is fine you people are silly...... Primer? lol right.... We use it everywhere at Ga Tech, and Emory..... I have been a painter for a looooooooooong time. Promar 200 is fine. you probablly use lame tools..... Get real - Purdy Moose Brushes and Lambswool Roller Covers are the key..... all the other stuff is toys for children.