Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hobbydecorator_gw

Sherwin Williams light yellow tan

hobbydecorator
11 years ago

Hi, I am new on the discussions here. I needed help choosing main house paint color. I wanted a yellow tan color that's not too dark, but I do not want green or peach undertones.

I was thinking SW Whole Wheat, but I had read there is green undertones. I have neutral decor and open floor plan colonial. This color would be the 2 story foyer, Living Room ( since foyer flows into it), Family room, and kitchen. the family room has ivory leather couches and the living room has a chocolate loveseat. My dining room is blonde top with white molding on the bottom and we were going to paint the blonde for the powder room since it looks good in our house. I don't see any green or peach in the blonde either, as i have read in other post.

I need help because I have been reading and going back and forth and now it is all looking the same. yikes!

oh yeah, FYI if anyone was thinking BM Princeton Gold that is what we have in our Powder room now and I do see green for that when sun sets. but the blonde sample is ok

Thank you all for help

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    11 years ago

SW Whole Wheat may indeed have green undertones -- in some other house somewhere but who's to say it will in yours.

There are two kinds of undertones. Inherent and in situ. Some colors have no characteristic of undertone at all, just masstone.

Inherent undertones may remain true in context or might not. Sometimes when the color is viewed in context of the room and its contents, the inherent undertone shifts as it is affected by the surroundings and quality of light.

So, an inherent green undertone detected in a Whole Wheat color chip could completely shift and disappear when the color is sampled in the room.

Likewise, just because Whole Wheat shows with a green undertone in one room doesn't mean it will in all rooms.

If you're thinking Whole Wheat, test it.

The other issue is while color forumlas and mixing is relatively accurate and consistent, there's no guarantee that all quarts and gallons and sample pots are mixed the same.

With Blonde specifically, I've seen two gallons of the color from the same store with the presumably same formula paint out and show as two markedly different colors. That's why some people box paint. And also why it's a good rule to start and stop batch to batch in corners.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

Look at Believable Buff also on the Whole Wheat strip. My DD has it in her entire downstairs - it is a lovely light golden tan during the day; a light tan at night. It never has green undertone, but she has really good natural light during the day.

Like Funcolors said, it could look entirely different in your home. I was so excited seeing after seeing it in her home, I had to try it. I have terrible daytime natural lighting (am surrounded by trees) so it does not look good in my house - very drab and dingey looking.

• hobbydecorator
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thank you for everyone's help. The whole Wheat is beautiful with no unwanted green for my house. We decided that is actually what we were looking for in Master bedroom. Here is what we finally decided. kitchen Island=Rookwood dark red semi gloss
    kids bath =queen anne's lace semi gloss
    powder room= blonde semi gloss
    dining room= blonde flat, with white bottom
    office= blonde satin
    basement = blonde satin
    Laundry= Blonde satin
    MBR= whole wheat flat
    Master bath= Samovar silver satin
    FR, kitchen, LR, foyer= nomatic desert satin
    LR will get chair rail by end of this month and the bottom color kilim beige satin
    Foyer color (nomatic desert) will go all the way upstairs then accent color on back hall walls will be Believable buff satin.
    Husband and I will be painting most so wish us luck because we have our hands full with 3 kids too

• shappy
    11 years ago

Believable buff has green undertones. Painted it, was shocked at night under artificial light it looked green.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
DC Area's Award-Winning Interior Designer | 12x Best of Houzz