Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crown molding and baseboards - Help Please!

Posted by candyce2202 (My Page) on
Wed, May 19, 10 at 21:45

The ceiling is painted white, crown molding is painted semi-gloss white, walls are painted a light taupe brown - what color should I paint the baseboards and door casings? A semi-gloss to match the walls or a semi-gloss to match the crown molding? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crown molding and baseboards - Help Please!

Oh, that's always a tough one. I tend to go with more traditional choices and would suggest match the crown.

Painting trim/molding the same color as the walls comes with caveats. Biggest one is every time you want to change wall color, you also have to paint the trim. Well, I suppose you wouldn't have to but then that's a different approach altogether.

Here's a link about ceilings and trim. Specifically about painting the trim same as walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trim / Ceilings

o

That was a cool link Fun-C!

IMO...Matching the lower-trims to the Crowns tends to be the most versatile, balanced, and "Classic".

NOTE: I'm NOT a Decorator/Colorist!!
I DO know my way around Paints and painting-issues though!

Faron

o

Maybe you're not a decorator/colorist, but you are a homeowner and a person in addition to knowing paint. We all learn from each other; descriptions of personal preferences and experiences is helpful. That's why forums are awesome! :~D

o

Personally a fan of white trim so I would match the crown molding. It always gives a nice clean look. I think off white trim just looks dirty after awhile.

o

If you ever decide to do something different with your flooring, white is always going to work, and painting it the same color as the crowns ties the whole room together and makes it classy-looking.

o

In my opinion the crown, baseboard, door and window trim should all be the same color. Go crazy with the walls, ceilings and floors.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here