Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
candyce2202

Crown molding and baseboards - Help Please!

Candyce Preston
13 years ago

The ceiling is painted white, crown molding is painted semi-gloss white, walls are painted a light taupe brown - what color should I paint the baseboards and door casings? A semi-gloss to match the walls or a semi-gloss to match the crown molding? Your help will be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Oh, that's always a tough one. I tend to go with more traditional choices and would suggest match the crown.

Painting trim/molding the same color as the walls comes with caveats. Biggest one is every time you want to change wall color, you also have to paint the trim. Well, I suppose you wouldn't have to but then that's a different approach altogether.

Here's a link about ceilings and trim. Specifically about painting the trim same as walls.

Here is a link that might be useful: Trim / Ceilings

• Faron79
    13 years ago

That was a cool link Fun-C!

IMO...Matching the lower-trims to the Crowns tends to be the most versatile, balanced, and "Classic".

NOTE: I'm NOT a Decorator/Colorist!!
    I DO know my way around Paints and painting-issues though!

Faron

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Maybe you're not a decorator/colorist, but you are a homeowner and a person in addition to knowing paint. We all learn from each other; descriptions of personal preferences and experiences is helpful. That's why forums are awesome! :~D

• carolmka
    13 years ago

Personally a fan of white trim so I would match the crown molding. It always gives a nice clean look. I think off white trim just looks dirty after awhile.

• sofaspud
    13 years ago

If you ever decide to do something different with your flooring, white is always going to work, and painting it the same color as the crowns ties the whole room together and makes it classy-looking.

• freckles81
    13 years ago

In my opinion the crown, baseboard, door and window trim should all be the same color. Go crazy with the walls, ceilings and floors.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!