Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tesschron

opaque stain over paint?

Taralyn
14 years ago

My master bathroom cabinets are currently painted in a cream latex paint. I am redoing the paint and fixtures, and wanted the cabinets to be a warm cherry, distressed at the edges to show the cream, to coordinate with nearby flooring. I am having trouble finding the right paint color, a brown with orange tones. Could I use an opaque stain over the paint to get the wood color? Or maybe a couple of coats of gelstain? Any suggestions?

terry

Comment (1)

• moonshadow
    14 years ago

If you hop over to kitchens forum, many have used glaze for exactly what you want to do. Another alternative I've used on small furniture is get artist's oil paint in tubes. You can mix and match paint colors till you get a tone you like. If you go to an art store (not a craft store), they can help you with color selection and mixing. Just mix the artist's oils on a waxy coated paper plate, stir with a popsicle or small paint stick. Mix in mineral spirits to thin, about 1 part paint to 2 or 3 parts mineral spirits. This creates a glaze. You don't want a lot, a small pea size dollop of artist's oil when diluted with a bit of mineral spirits goes a long way. Apply with a clean lint free rag (white t-shirt) on a test piece to see if you like the color and opacity. Just keep fiddling with it till you get it close. If you don't like what you see, it can be wiped off immediately with pure mineral spirits on a different rag. Just don't get your latex painted cabs too wet with mineral spirits. Always best to practice till you get a hand for it. When ready, apply to cabs, let dry well, and tho I didn't seal my furniture, some will suggest a sealer (again, see kitchen forums for that.)

I believe most glazes used in kitchen cabs on kitchen forum are latex, not oil. You can get some already mixed at Lowe's. Valspar line as well as McCloskey makes them, in a jug. Color selection somewhat limited, you might have to mix some of those.

Another alternative would be to buy sample pots of latex paint, thin with water, see if you can make a nice glaze out of that.

Hope that helps!

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio