Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cocorhum

Sherwin Williams Kilim Beige

cocorhum
10 years ago

Does anyone have the formula for a quart / color to go sample of SW Kilim Beige paint? I got a sample of paint and it doesn't match my paint chip at all. Then I noticed my the sticker on my sample can says Kilim Beige Rev 6/08. So I'm wondering if I have the correct color. Thanks!

Comments (26)

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I did get it from sw a color to go sample of paint and painted two coats and its different than the paint chip ... a lot different. it has a greenish undertone and my paint chip does not. the color says rev 6/08 so I'm thinking maybe the store accidentally picked the kilim beige color that someone revised.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

SW 6106 Kilim Beige

RGB Value
    R-215 : G-201 : B-176

I'd take the can, the paint chip and your paint stirrer (showing the dried color) ... back to the store. They should correct it for you and give you another quart or Gallon.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Small samples are often not accurate. I'm surprised one of the to-go ones is off though since they can make a large batch to keep the proportions intact. Just take it to the store to show them. Mix errors aren't uncommon either. The sample pot business is a joke, imo.

The chips can be off too. They can be older and faded. They come out of a printer, not a paint can. You will see undertone and value differences comparing pamphlets to strips or other sample media. It is a surprising and perplexing discovery! Kind of misses the point.

Be sure to test a gallon first before committing.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Don't know what Rev 06/08 means - take it back and ask at the store. Along with the original chip, the color you wanted. They should have done a draw-down before you left to make sure it matched your chip and was the color you wanted.

Paint names and numbers don't change. One of the BenM decks hasn't changed for 30 years. Sometimes they will take old colors and work them into new "collections" and give them a new name and number -- but the old name/number doesn't go anywhere.

RGB values have nothing to do with paint formulas.

The formula for a color-to-go jug is adjusted down for the small quantity of paint. It's not uncommon for the CTG formula to differ from a larger quantity. That's one of the pitfalls of buying small sized custom mixed sample.

• Faron79
    10 years ago

Yep-

RGB #'s are for VIDEO/Electronic color reproduction.
    NOT EVEN REMOTELY related to Paint colorant(s) & formulas!!

The CTG samples AREN'T paint.
    * That would require a separate group of tiny tint-base cans, and VERY few tinters could shoot a light color that small. Even the COROBS we have have their limits.
    * Equally important, many stores just don't want to buy a seldom-used inventory of small bases. I wouldn't. The $$-return just isn't there.
    * An ACTUAL QT....of REAL paint...in the actual sheen, is the only 100% reliable way to judge a color in-situ. Paint it on foamboard squares for portable chips.

Faron

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I thought the to-go's you were referring to were pre-mixed popular colors that some companies do. My SW pot samples they mixed at the store were rarely accurate.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yes to clarify I wasn't asking for rgb values.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Cocorhum wrote:
    "yes to clarify I wasn't asking for rgb values."

Sorry to confuse when I posted those ... they seem to have caused some confusion.

I copied and pasted those and the SW 6106 Kilim Beige from the website to see what you were talking about ... "having a greenish undertone in your paint versus what you wanted".

Also .. SW Paint Names and Numbers DO CHANGE, however, they can always map an old Chip/Name/Number.

This post was edited by PinesEverywhere on Wed, May 22, 13 at 6:17

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Ok. So which SW paint color names and numbers changed?

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was asking if anyone had a quart of kilim beige and could tell me what formula is on their can so I can check if mine is correct or not. mine contains black, maroon, and deep gold. it says kilim beige with the correct number but also says rev 6/08 after it which I'm wondering if that was someone's change of the formula on that date since my paint doesn't match my chip of kilim beige. it's way off.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Cocorhum -- I am sorry but I do not have that paint color in my collection.

Funcolors -- Here is a recent example. I have a painter's color fan from 1998 (yes these are dated at the bottom). Here is a photo.

I just purchased SW Big Chill and SW Pure White. The numbers on the paint chips is what is shown on the cans themselves (1002 and 1004 respectively) and the Paint is as expected per my chip selection.

On a newer/expander color fan AND on the SW website these colors are shown as:

SW 7648 Big Chill -- matches
    SW 7005 Pure White -- kinda/sorta matches

You can't even find a SW 1002 or SW 1004 on their site. I guess I'm lucky to have the color fan and a local SW supplier that will map these old references that I have.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Our SW is more than happy to verify the mixed formula, admit error, and correct any errors.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Pines - hold on to that fandeck. I also have one. As well as the old "exterior" deck. The exterior deck in particular has some of the best exterior reds for doors in any collection -- ever.

I think we're basically saying the same thing. I spec colors from the old decks all the time because it enables me to bring something different to the color table besides the standard 10% of the colors from the current deck that everyone uses over and over.

I also still spec colors from the Martha Stewart collection that SW discontinued in 2007 for the same reason.

SW mixes the colors from the older decks/collections as easily as they mix the new ones. Which is my point - the old paint color names and numbers don't go anywhere.

SW 7648 is from the newish mini-collection called Concepts in Color SW brought in to fill the void after Martha Stewart colors were discontinued. It may very well be a color from the old deck. . . just reworked into a new collection.

Again, that was my point. Taking old colors and reworking them into new collections is common practice across all brands.

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Cocorhum, it's not unusual for conversations on our paint forum threads to evolve and include multiple topics. It's a discussion forum and the scope of paint and color is so broad, it's simply what happens sometimes.

A broader conversation isn't going to preclude anyone from posting the info you're looking for -- if they have it to share, they will.

Here are my favorite SW door reds of older colors. L to R:
    2914 Vermillion
    2907 Scarlet
    2908 Cardinal
    2912 Chanticleer
    2915 Sundried Tomato

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

funcolors ~ I have no issue with multiple topics. I enjoy learning. sorry if my post seemed that way. I was just trying to clarify exactly what I was looking for. I miss the Martha Stewart collection ... sure wish I had that fan deck. I used one of the coordinated color cards throughout my last house. the main part of my current house was already painted a color similar to sw latte in family room, foyer, and hallways. it's a very open floor plan so I am struggling to find colors to paint the rest of the first floor that look good with latte. that's why I was sampling kilim beige to see if I should just do lighter and darker versions from the same strip. any thoughts?

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

funcolors ~ I have no issue with multiple topics. I enjoy learning. sorry if my post seemed that way. I was just trying to clarify exactly what I was looking for. I miss the Martha Stewart collection ... sure wish I had that fan deck. I used one of the coordinated color cards throughout my last house. the main part of my current house was already painted a color similar to sw latte in family room, foyer, and hallways. it's a very open floor plan so I am struggling to find colors to paint the rest of the first floor that look good with latte. that's why I was sampling kilim beige to see if I should just do lighter and darker versions from the same strip. any thoughts?

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Thoughts about that strip are to be careful because I've seen people go to a lot of trouble using a mix of light/med/dark from that strip and it all ends up looking like one color when it's all done. Because of different light qualities room to room, you can't discern Kilim from Latte or Latte from Nomadic Desert.

In other words, they coulda made it super simple and picked only one color from the strip for all the rooms.

• swensoca
    10 years ago

My 6106 Kilim Beige CTG is labeled Rev 11/08. I got this a couple weeks ago. Should be in a green labeled jug, Extra White Base.

CCE*COLORANT OZ 32 64 128
    B1-Black - 1 1 1
    R2-Maroon - - 1 -
    Y3-Deep Gold - 6 - -

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

thank you, swensoca ... does yours match your paint chip?

• swensoca
    10 years ago

Yes it does and we don't get any greenish tint that we can notice. We are matching colors under 2700k LED bulbs as that is what will be in our new home. Not sure if under natural daylight or 5000k+ bulbs a green tint may show up. I've noticed on a lot of beige colors the light source can make it or break it.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Swensoca to the rescue!! Well done. What are the odds that you had that paint color -- amazing. So glad you were able to help cocohum out. I was going to look for that color in my fan (glad I didn't have to).

Thanks for the post back Funcolors -- I guess we were agreeing afterall. Thanks for posting the Exterior Reds too -- weird because I'm going to need those for my front door and shutters (I saved them in my remodeling folder ... so Thanks).

Back to painting everyone -- well, at least me. :)

• sewwhatsnew
    10 years ago

I work at Sherwin and just had problems with the Kilim Beige color to go quart not matching the strip color. Luckily I had a gallon of Kilim to test the color....and the gallon was correct, my color to go , needed 1 /128th more of maroon. It's a good idea to dry down a tester color and check it with the paper strip color. It should almost be a perfect match. My customer choose Kilim at 150% and it was a nice color.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

Be sure to do two coats too! You will not get the right color with only one coat. Could be even more so if you paint thin.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

sewwhatsnew ~ does that rev 6/08 have any meaning? thanks.

• cocorhum
    Original Author
    10 years ago

also, has anyone used or know anything about sw patience? their website lists it in the Orange family but it is a very light greyed cream to me. It matches part of my backsplash well. I just wonder if it will look orange or peach once it's all over?