Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
staining window sill problem

Posted by arac21 (My Page) on
Tue, May 24, 11 at 20:49

Here is the summary of what happened. Our handyman sanded our windows
(Oak) then stained them with Chabot pecan stain( product no 8127).
After about 4 hours, he applied polyurethane ( Chabot Number 18010 )
The windows turned white in several areas, there was also change in
wood grain pattern. It looked like " blush" but not quite.This also
happened in window trim ( oak) however he did not apply any stain to
this area or sand just applied polyurethane on existing finish it also
changed color to streaks of white which later coalesced to form large
patches of light beige. Can anyone please help. We are not sure what to do.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: staining window sill problem

Are these new windows or older ones? If older and there was paint it sounds as if all the paint was not removed and this is tedious. My husband continued the job our painter started on our front door because the door was from 1957,had years of paint on it and he knew the painter wouldn't take the time. It came out beautifully but took alot of work with a heat gun. If the windows are new I don't think I have the answer but I could ask him as he is fairly current about staining issues and the rights and wrongs of it and loves to give advice.

o
RE: staining window sill problem

Could there have been some paint left in the brush from some other paint job? Also, sometimes if you get water or rain on the poly when it is wet, it will turn white. That's all I can think of. It doesn't sound like an actual problem with the stain if it also happened on wood that was not stained. As a seperate issue, 4 hours is not really long enough dry time for stain. I'm surprised he didn't pull some of the stain off the wood when applying the poly. You should really let stain dry overnight and even longer if the color is dark.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here