Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I paint the exterior of my house charcoal gray?

Posted by devorah (My Page) on
Fri, May 6, 11 at 20:40

Hi all,

I am planning to have my house painted as soon as things warm up a bit. My house is currently pinky beige (not my fault). I am thinking of going with charcoal plus lots of rich cream trim including the garage doors. What do you think? My husband thinks it will be (1) awful looking and (2) expensive to have painted. What do you think? I would like to come to some sort of decision before I ask for bids.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I paint the exterior of my house charcoal gray?

Sounds lovely!

o

Darker colors exterior are more of a commitment. They notoriously fade quicker and oddly enough retain more moisture.

Doubt it will cost more to have painted initially -- but you will likely have to repaint in more frequent intervals. While most people can paint exterior on average every 10 years, you'll probably be at a 5-8 year average.

Just make sure your charcoal color is designed to be used exterior. Remember that not all colors can be used exterior.

Aesthetically it could be fabulous. Darker colors are more work etc. but often well worth it.

o

We went from a white house to a charcoal with white trim (not cream) and we love it! We have red doors and the whole loOk came out well. We did it 2 years ago so not sure about longevity... I say do it!!

o

Thank you, I am going to go ahead with it

o

I did it - and I love it!

o

Deborah & sand111 we are about to do the same. We are going from white with dark green. Painting starts 7/18 and need to pick colors. I'm considering Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal, gray, French Beret and possibly Racoon Fur. Would love to know what you picked and would so love to see a photo of yours if possible. Thx.

o

You are nuts! Someone will come along with a bag of marshmallows, some lighter fluid and matches and your house will be gone!

o

Ionized - as long as they bring the chocolate bars and graham crackers, I'm okay with that

dotcome - I like raccoon fur - I don't recall seeing the other two you mentioned. My husband wouldn't let me go quite as dark as I wanted to and now he is sorry. We have witching hour which turned out to have some blue in it. I was upset about that, but switched my trim to "pale celery" and they look great together. I will try to remember to get a battery for my camera.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here