Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
devorah_gw

Should I paint the exterior of my house charcoal gray?

devorah
13 years ago

Hi all,

I am planning to have my house painted as soon as things warm up a bit. My house is currently pinky beige (not my fault). I am thinking of going with charcoal plus lots of rich cream trim including the garage doors. What do you think? My husband thinks it will be (1) awful looking and (2) expensive to have painted. What do you think? I would like to come to some sort of decision before I ask for bids.

Comments (8)

• graywings123
    13 years ago

Sounds lovely!

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    13 years ago

Darker colors exterior are more of a commitment. They notoriously fade quicker and oddly enough retain more moisture.

Doubt it will cost more to have painted initially -- but you will likely have to repaint in more frequent intervals. While most people can paint exterior on average every 10 years, you'll probably be at a 5-8 year average.

Just make sure your charcoal color is designed to be used exterior. Remember that not all colors can be used exterior.

Aesthetically it could be fabulous. Darker colors are more work etc. but often well worth it.

• devorah
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you, I am going to go ahead with it

• devorah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I did it - and I love it!

• trish21
    12 years ago

Deborah & sand111 we are about to do the same. We are going from white with dark green. Painting starts 7/18 and need to pick colors. I'm considering Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal, gray, French Beret and possibly Racoon Fur. Would love to know what you picked and would so love to see a photo of yours if possible. Thx.

• ionized_gw
    12 years ago

You are nuts! Someone will come along with a bag of marshmallows, some lighter fluid and matches and your house will be gone!

• devorah
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ionized - as long as they bring the chocolate bars and graham crackers, I'm okay with that

dotcome - I like raccoon fur - I don't recall seeing the other two you mentioned. My husband wouldn't let me go quite as dark as I wanted to and now he is sorry. We have witching hour which turned out to have some blue in it. I was upset about that, but switched my trim to "pale celery" and they look great together. I will try to remember to get a battery for my camera.