Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aura Paint: Cutting in and when to do 2nd coat?

Posted by motifone (My Page) on
Mon, May 24, 10 at 20:12

Hello

I have a question regarding the application of Aura paint. I know it is suggested you cut in first. Do you cut in with one coat, then roll in your first coat, then cut in the second coat, and then roll in the second coat? Or do you do two coats on the cut in first, then apply first coat of roll in and then second coat of roll in?

Otherwise, I know you are suppose to keep a wet edge and roll more or less in up and down fashion?

thanks for any advice on this.
cheers

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aura Paint: Cutting in and when to do 2nd coat?

I cut first, dry , paint the 1st coat, dry; cut in the 2nd coat, dry and paint the 2nd finish coat. If it really way up high, someone could get away with just cutting in one time, but that depends on light flow, angles, the MOA, sheen, paint color. Oh and use a really good brush.
best of luck

o

I find at this point that it really doesn't matter. You just want to make sure that your cut-in areas are dry before you roll over them. Sometimes I cut-roll-cut-roll and sometimes I cut-cut-roll-roll. Both ways it comes out looking the same.

o

Aura's dry time is only an hour. I cut in the whole room working from one direction. By the time I finish, I can start rolling where I started cutting in and work my way around. I take a quick break and repeat, starting in the same place as the first cut in and go the same direction. I typically get 2 full coats of a room done in 4 hours with Aura.

As far as rolling out, the microfiber rollers are amazing and I highly recommend.

I roll out a 3x3 section on the top half of the wall, reload the roller and repeat on the bottom half and finish with 4 ceiling to floor downward strokes over the entire 3 foot section.

Great paint!

o

cleo 2007 great post!

o

Has anyone used Hush color (Aura)? What is the undertone color and how does it look with limited lighting? I have a high cathedral ceiling with only limited indirect lighting.

o

I realize this is a little late but DO NOT follow paintguy's advise by letting hte cut in area dry before rolling. This is the exact opposite of keeping a wet edge. Cut in small areas, lets say the first 6 feet of baseboard and ceiling and then roll that area out. It is letting the cut in area dry before rolling that causes the picture frame effect we all hate...that and putting the cut in area on too heavy and not feathering it out a few inches to get rid of the heavy edge. Two coats of cutting before rolling your first coat is a horrible idea!!! Like I said, a wet edge is the way to go and this the method mentioned by paintguy would not allow you to do that.

o

Boman, go into a Benjamin Moore store that supplies Aura paint and ask them the proper way to paint with it. Aura dries too fast to keep a wet edge and you do not get picture framing with this product if you let the cut-ins dry completely. The cut-roll, cut-roll method has been dead for years, even though many paint stores and people on the internet that don't know what they are talking about are still recommending it.

o

I don't believe it's humanly possible to keep a wet edge with Aura.

o

lol, funcolors!
Go to the bathroom before you start and don't stop to answer the phone ;-)

o

ROTFL! Amen, chispa.

o

"I don't believe it's humanly possible to keep a wet edge with Aura."

I do believe you are correct!

o

I have been doing it paintguy's way (cut-in-dry-roll) for years. I consider it the best painting tip I ever learned.

Boman, welcome to GardenWeb.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here