Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kippee_gw

gloss white paint for table

kippee
9 years ago

I am refinishing a pine kitchen table and want a durable gloss white. BM store recommended Advance but noted it will yellow. How good is Rustoleum's gloss white lacquer re durability and application? If I used BM Regal in gloss white, what could I finish it with to give it a hard protective coat?

Comments (6)

• tbo123
    9 years ago

BM's stance on Advance yellowing is: "it may yellow a little or it may not". Seriously.

I haven't noticed any yellowing after like 6-8 months.

I'm not sure if top coating Advance with a protective finish is a good idea. Not sure it's not either. Haven't tried it but, Advance has ammonia in it so it might yellow a topcoat.
    I doubt you'd need it as Advance cures pretty hard. Harder than any water based polys i've tried.

I would think advance would be fine for a simple table top. If it gets bad or yellow in a few years just repaint.

This post was edited by tbo123 on Tue, May 20, 14 at 15:49

• kippee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have an all white kitchen that gets exposed to a lot of sun, which BM says is a factor in yellowing.

• tbo123
    9 years ago

Everything I've heard or read defines yellowing from lack of sunlight. I always thought the opposite as you mentioned. But, that's what I've read.

And, when I mentioned BM, I mean the company phone number and technical support, not some store salesperson.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

If you are planning to paint the table top and not just the legs, I think you are going to be disappointed with the durability of any paint you apply. Kitchen tabletops get too much wear.

Every few months someone posts about the possibility of putting a coat of clear polyurethane over paint. No one here seems to have any real life experience with doing this.

• kippee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am painting the whole table, including two leaves. I am putting two coats of zinsser on before painting. If I put a polyurethane over the paint what would be a good choice?

• tbo123
    9 years ago

There are various varieties of "Zinsser" and, various varieties of "paint".

?

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists