Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kheflw

New House - Many Paint/Design options

kheflw
10 years ago

Hi, buying this house next friday 5/31. Lots of paint decisions, but here is the main focal point. Walls are white, I'm ready to change that. Fireplace, nice brick, but I've seen lots of paint options for that. Then there is that staircase. C'mon dont laugh. It goes up to that beautiful green door.
Any ideas for us?
Walls -
Fireplace -
Staircase -
Door upstairs -
Here's the photos.

Comments (7)

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

More

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And just to provide the outside architecture -

• PRO
    Lori A. Sawaya
    10 years ago

Perfect candidate for 'paint it all white'. Maybe a very pale light blue ceiling with white beams.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I actually like the green, lol. Kind of artsy. But maybe it is a flattering photograph.

Looks like a great house!

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

Love the exterior and grounds -- wow. That room is verrry interesting. First, I'd decide what you do like and can live with for awhile. Once you paint that ceiling and the fireplace ... there is no going back. My thoughts are these:

Leave the ceiling natural (or stain/seal it again)
    Leave the fireplace alone (unless it is facebrick -- then paint that a bold but warm burnt orange-ish/reddish color)
    Walls either in beige, butter cream, or see photo
    Paint that staircase, door and trim the same color as the walls
    Refinish those stair treads -- either stain them like the ceiling ... or paint them the burnt orange-ish/reddish color

That staircase definitely looks like an add-on and fights for being seen. It is artsy-quirky but I'd minimize its appearance by painting that the wall color. For safety reasons (and if it is a room you will use a lot) .. I'd accentuate those stair treads and/or put some low-level accent lighting on the treads RH side or along the rail). Alternatively, a sconce light with a dimmer on the RH side of the door would look nice.

The colors below (3rd ones down on each strip) are super in bright rooms -- they cast one shade in natural light and are totally different with room lighting. Colors are so personal .. and vary greatly I hate to recommend -- just showing these for some ideas as they go well with natural materials.

• Pines Everywhere
    10 years ago

You also might want to try the Home Decorating Forum for ideas.

Also, Congrats on the new house!

• kheflw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks all, I should have said, I will not be painting the ceiling anytime soon. It fits the room, and looks nice, at least for now.
    Thanks so much for those paint color choices. So you think trying to "hide" the stairs with the wall color is good. I agree, hiding is best, or replacing them with a real staircase. Lot more money than a gallon of paint:)
    thanks