Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
callie25

Calling All Paint Experts!

callie25
11 years ago

We're painting a deep moss green (semi-gloss - one of Lowes brand paints) in a bathroom. The paint is streaking? I told my husband that maybe to stir the paint each time before pouring into tray might help? I've painted light semi-gloss paint before and have never had this problem. What can we do to insure the paint goes on evenly.....any special techniques? Also, best knapp size? Thanks

Comments (6)

• paintguy22
    11 years ago

I'm not really sure what you mean by streaking, but I can imagine it probably means the finish is not looking very good. Usually, if the paint is recently mixed, the paint should not settle so much that it would need to be stirred frequently to keep the paint looking even, but every brand is different and I have never used Lowes. The proper nap size is 3/8" and the trick to having the paint dry down evenly is to put it on heavy and keep a wet edge and don't overwork it.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    11 years ago

Go to a real paint store that sells paint and get some QUALITY product. Problem solved.

• paintguy1
    11 years ago

Chris, you must love that your reference to a paint store has become a hot link to none other than Lowes/Valspar. How's that for irony?

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

go chrisophern!
    Paint, running thru a ball game in just it's sneakers-streaking?

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

Probably too heavy pigment load for that level of quality to achieve the desired color, which sounds kinda dark.
    The knap size depends on the sheen and your tolerance for orange peel.
    Try moving up a step in quality, and away from LOWES!

• otislilly.com
    11 years ago

I would have to see a pic of your streaking, I have had a "help streaking paint in bathroom" call before. and when I got there it was nothing more than contaminants had hit the wall and ran down. (soap/shampoo)
    this may or maynot be the case here
    to find out just use a wet rag and wash the area even if it has one coat of new paint, you will find that you can wash that paint right off.
    I also agree with everyone about buying real paint, you wont find it at lowes or home depot
    have you ever seen a respectable paint contractor standing in line at any of these places for paint. I have not, and doubt i ever will. now why would somone pay more to buy something IF they could get a better product for less?
    they wouldnt, contractors have to guarrantee thier products, and every one of the products from before mentioned places will consistantly Cost the contactor more in the end, great save 9 dollars a gallon on paint, dang it Now we have to do another coat to make it look good. Savings??? not even close.

before painting over any paint with a sheen, it should be lightly sanded, to tell the truth, in my opinion you should sand between every coat no matter the sheen. but my clients want smooth walls. if walls were sanded you would have found the contaminants (dust would have stuck to them making them visable before paint)
    please give more description of the streaking.