Return to the Paint Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
painting over dark stained wood on window sashes

Posted by fmcaree (My Page) on
Fri, May 3, 13 at 19:16

Any tips on how to paint over stained wood. The stain is not heavy and the wood is pretty porous, but its dark and oil based and I want to paint the wood white.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: painting over dark stained wood on window sashes

Well, I used to be die-hard fan of Zinsser products and they are fabulous -- (Cover Stain or Smart Prime) will cover most anything. I've also used the Sherwin Williams product called PrepRite Pro-Block and was NOT satisfied.

I've recently stumbled upon KILZ MAX Primer by Masterchem and it is the bomb ($33/Gallon). Dries fast, little odor, covers completely with no bubbles or bleed-thru, sands nice ... I'm in love. LOL. I've used this product on drywall, stained paneling and an old rustic stained/painted rocking chair and it covered/sealed superbly with one coat.

I'm just an amateur but that's my 2cents. A professional will certainly weigh in and give you more informed advice.

Good luck!

This post was edited by PinesEverywhere on Fri, May 3, 13 at 21:22

o
RE: painting over dark stained wood on window sashes

Sand( lightly) clean, prime with Zinsser 123, topcoat with whatever.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Paint Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here